remote desktop

For users or potential users.
drtbar

remote desktop

Post by drtbar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:23 pm

I'm trying to use remote desktop to add my clinical notes from home and it is slower than hell and is essentially unusable. I have DSL both at home and at the office and I haven't been able to find any bandwidth hogs running either at home or the office. It appears to run fine until I go to the chart module. I'm thinking it's having hard time loading the tooth graphic. Any suggestions?

drtbar

Re: remote desktop

Post by drtbar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:58 pm

I found a way to speed it up a bit by minimizing and maximizing the remote desktop window, but still wish it was faster. I realize it's probably the remote desktop that's slowing it down, but just wondering what programs others are using with success. Thanks in advance.

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:03 am

I have also experienced very slow frustrating speeds using a program called PC Anywhere in the past. I have recently be introduced to a program called LogMeIn (http://www.logmein.com) I have been very pleasantly surprised at how fast and efficiently I can work from home and remotely control my office computer. The service is free. You will need to go to the website and a download and install process will be required for each computer but I found that to be quite simple. There is an upgrade to LogMeIn Pro which will require an annual fee that will give you additonal capabilities such as copy and paste (drag and drop) functions between your local and remote computer as well as remote printing and remote sound. If you only want remote control of the other computer to do tasks such as completing chart notes from home, the free version will be quite sufficient.

While using LogMeIn in Open Dental, I discovered I could not visualize the 3D Tooth Chart. There is a simple fix for this. In Open Dental, go to File -- Graphics-- and select " simple tooth chart". This allowed me to visualize the tooth chart while using LogMeIn. The 3D tooth chart is much nicer in appearance so when I get back to my office and not remotely controlling my computer from home, I change it back to the 3D tooth chart. The change just takes a couple of mouse clicks and is easily done. By the way, the change from 3D to simple only occurs locally on the machine you are working on and not globally on all the workstations on your network so changing this option doesn't affect other users on your network.

Good Luck

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:54 am

Yes, Logmein is the best I have found.

If you are on v5.5 (maybe earlier, don't remember when the last graphics changes were) or greater, play around with 3d graphic modes and you can get it to work now with Logmein. Used to, I had to disable and go to the simple tooth chart too, but now it works if you get the right setting.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com