Auto fill Sheets Based on Previous Answers

For users or potential users.
dpat08

Auto fill Sheets Based on Previous Answers

Post by dpat08 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:16 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to autofill sheets based on a previous answer? For example, we do an exam and have caries noted on tooth 14 occlusal (text based entry) from 6 months ago. Is there a way to autopopulate a new exam sheet with the same information in the same text field? The same kind of question goes for radio buttons. Maybe we have low, medium, high caries risk radio buttons. Is there a way to recall the most recent “selection” when we create a new exam sheet? If we could do that it would be crazy helpful and I might switch from autonotes to exam sheets for my exams.

Thanks,
Dylan

dpat08

Re: Auto fill Sheets Based on Previous Answers

Post by dpat08 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:51 pm

Just checking in on this again… Thanks!

dpat08

Post by dpat08 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:50 pm

Bumping this to the top again just to check in on it.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:09 pm

Patient Forms can be pre-filled but I don't think Exams can. See the "Pre-Fill Logic" section of the following page in our online manual: https://www.opendental.com/manual/patientform.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

dpat08

Post by dpat08 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:29 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'll mess around with it and see if we can get it to work the way we'd like to using forms...

dpat08

Post by dpat08 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:55 pm

Well I tried for a few hours but it seems to be more complex than what we have right now. It technically works, but the fact that it is stuck in patient forms really kind of messes with everything. it seems to be more work then the way we have all notes set up right now. I think, putting it into exam sheets, would cut out most of the difficulties with the workflow, but it still isn’t acting the way I would like it to.

This is a separate issue, but what I really want is to be able to click a button on an exam sheet and have a drop down for a list of options to choose from. For example, on panoramic, x-ray, the main problems we see as a pediatric dentists are missing teeth, extra teeth, and ectopic eruptions of teeth. I can currently make a checkbox for each one of those selections, and technically be able to select them on an exam sheet, but it just clutters everything up because we look at so many different things to where it’s actually kind of difficult to read the exam sheet and get the information that you actually need.

We have a note system at the hospital that’s amazing and works kind of like what I described. I’ve replicated it pretty closely in open dental so far but it can’t recall previous entries so we have to copy and paste parts of the notes each time from the previous entry.

Perhaps I’m looking at this in the wrong way and instead of wanting exam sheets with auto fill it would be better to have the autonotes with auto fill from previous entries. The exams sheets just seemed to have a better chance of getting developed because there already seemed to be some back end code in place with the “misc” reportable group and radio buttons. Not sure how you would even go about auto recalling autonotes.

Another thing since I’m dreaming about auto notes features would be the ability to have any medical changes we make to the chart autonotate in the note. Maybe “added albuterol” would be input if someone notated that on their check in forms. Perhaps they could write a chief complaint on a check in form and it would auto populate into the note.