Is it safe to always trust the aging data in the patient table?

For users or potential users.
kashgoyal

Is it safe to always trust the aging data in the patient table?

Post by kashgoyal » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:30 am

Hi,
We have a requirement to display the current aging data for a patient to a user in a different window. We know we can get that aging data from the patient table, but from reading this documentation, it sounds like the aging data may not be updated every time something materially changes with the patient that would affect those aging numbers, is this the case or are we misreading that? https://www.opendental.com/manual/aging.html

For example, aging is recalculated whenever the Account Module is opened, but it's not run when a new claim is created and a new claim may be created without having to re-open the Account Module afterwards. So, in this scenario would the aging data be outdated? And if not, are there other scenarios where it would be outdated?

Thank you for your time.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Is it safe to always trust the aging data in the patient table?

Post by jordansparks » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:12 pm

I thought it was recalculated when a claim was created and pretty much everywhere that it might change. We also need it to be accurate in order to display it, so I'm leaning toward thinking you can always trust it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:23 am

We also need it to be accurate in order to display it, so I'm leaning toward thinking you can always trust it.
That linked documentation says that it is recalculated just before the area in Open Dental where you display it is loaded, so that sounded like it wasn't being relied on to be correct and therefore was being recalculated on the fly before showing it to the user.

From reading the full set of information in that documentation, it sounded like there were times where consequential data could change and the aging data not be recalculated. For example, if someone creates a new claim and then submits it to the clearinghouse, that number isn't recalculated but it would need to be in order for it to be up to date, wouldn't it?

Thanks for your help on this jordansparks.

kashgoyal

Post by kashgoyal » Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:19 am

Hi Team,
Any update on the last reply?

allends

Post by allends » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:15 am

Aging has the possibility of being inaccurate in some rarer circumstances, but the overwhelming majority of the time it will be correct.
Relying on that data is probably safe for the most part, but there are always going to be exceptions to the rule.
Allen
Open Dental Software

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:13 pm

Good afternoon gentlemen, I did some testing today to check a scenario that I was concerned about and found that the aging balance wasn't being updated in at least one common case. Here are the steps I took below in case you're interested.
  1. Checked the current balance for the patient in the patient table
  2. Create a procedure for the patient for $85
  3. Checked the current balance for the patient in the patient table again, it is unchanged
  4. Mark the $85 procedure complete for the patient
  5. Checked the current balance for the patient in the patient table again, it is unchanged
  6. Moved to the Account tab in OD and found that the balance in there does show the additional $85
  7. Checked the current balance for the patient in the patient table again, now it is updated to the latest amount

allends

Post by allends » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:17 pm

How did you perform step #2 and step #4?
Allen
Open Dental Software

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:47 am

allends wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:17 pm
How did you perform step #2 and step #4?
For step #2 I was on the patient chart and clicked on Procedure List, chose a procedure and clicked OK at the bottom.

For Step #4 I was again on the patient chart and double-clicked the procedure in the grid that was created by step #2 and picked "Complete" from the Procedure Status dropdown, then clicked OK at the bottom.

allends

Post by allends » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:01 am

I am assuming that you are wanting to use this data to create claims or perform actions through the API.
If your users are doing non-account related actions in Open Dental (Adding procedures, completing procedures, updating procedures, etc...) and then performing financial actions in your software, then aging will have a higher possibility of being incorrect.

Since most account actions require users to go into the account module in Open Dental, the aging will be updated at that point for users who are doing all of their actions in Open Dental. Similarly, if your users are doing all of their actions via your software (and, by proxy, through the API), then they will have had their aging updated because we update the aging whenever procedures get updated via the API.
Allen
Open Dental Software

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:08 pm

I can't tell if you're using the API or not for this other window.
Jordan Sparks, DMD