open dental and apteryx conversion

For users or potential users.
noestervemb

open dental and apteryx conversion

Post by noestervemb » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:05 am

Nathan Sparks i got apteryx and love it but dont wanna switch to cloud. Eventually it will prob stop working. I checked open dental website for a conversion. It says you for conversion you only match by name? So could get wrong images if people have same name correct? That not really a good solution or am i wrong? Why not do it based on patient or chart number? We have to keep records so even thought i keep apteryx if it breaks or i need a new server and you cant transfer licenses anymore then i would love xrays so need to make sure everything is transferred.
Also how does it transfer in? Just as a ton of separate files or does it keep full mouth abd bw series layout? When we converted from dexis to apteryx it transferred all xrays as well as the mount which was very helpfull keeping everything organised. If we got XDR instead it sounds like they can convert apteryx like that. But dont really wanna switch to XDR and then have to switch if they go cloud.

Also has open dental thought about native sensor support? We got different sensors but they work the same in apteryx because it had native snesor support. It all looks the same you click take xray and its the same for all sensors. With this twain thing you get a different interface for each sensors so more confusing for the team. I dot know how difficult this is to program etc? I know lots of people will have to get rid of apteryx soon.

dpat08

Re: open dental and apteryx conversion

Post by dpat08 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:49 am

Native sensor won't happen in OD any time soon. I just asked. Probably not worth the expense of paying developers to keep up with all the sensors without charging OD users an extra fee to use the imaging module which isn't really feasible.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:38 pm

I think the original developer of Apteryx had a lot of special inside knowledge. Native sensor support is very hard. Kudos to them for a great product. I always thought the independent imaging software companies would be around forever, so we didn't really do any imaging development for the first 15 years. But clearly, they are on a downward slide, so we are trying to pick up the slack. I know twain is slightly more annoying, but it's usually just an extra flash on the screen or an extra click. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

noestervemb

Post by noestervemb » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:47 am

Nathan, thank you for chiming in. Just started playing around with it. Got 2 questions.

1. why is there not an option for continuous capture/keep adding tiles (at least i cant find it). In apteryx when we select continuous capture for like a root canal when you dotn know how many xrays your taking its super helpful and same goes for photos. Should be an option for continuous capture where you just click which teeth numbers your taking xrays off and then you can keep going until done. Is super helpfull for endo and photos.
2. if we do a conversion, your conversion team warned me they only do it by name, why not by chart number? And i was not able to get a clear answer to if existing mounts will be transferred. So if we got old patient with like 15 sets of BWs taking through the years will they show up as BW mounts in open dental after conversion or not? Or how will they show up, just a a bunch of jpegs or?

jordansparks wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:38 pm
I think the original developer of Apteryx had a lot of special inside knowledge. Native sensor support is very hard. Kudos to them for a great product. I always thought the independent imaging software companies would be around forever, so we didn't really do any imaging development for the first 15 years. But clearly, they are on a downward slide, so we are trying to pick up the slack. I know twain is slightly more annoying, but it's usually just an extra flash on the screen or an extra click. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:45 pm

1. Never thought about it. I'll add it to the planned features. Yes, it does sound like a good idea.
2. I would think of historical radiographs as nice to have, but I wouldn't count on much. If you don't get your hopes up, you won't be disappointed. I really don't know the answers. The conversions team might not have good answers for you either because of the complexity and variation between conversions.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

noestervemb

Post by noestervemb » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:50 am

Hey Dr. Sparks thank you for taking the time to reply me back. I agree with you. After trying the twain driver it actually works pretty well in open dental. My team said that would not be a problem. All my team members tried it out and we did have a few suggestions to make it more usable. I am also in a paid "mastermind" with about 400 other dentist. Most use apteryx and open dental. We all have to switch so discussing options in there. Based on their feedback also (especially why people are not switching to open dental imaging but paying like XDR instead) is listed below.
Right now a large group of us is looking at options, we can either pay 3500 to 11k to switch to something else that might go cloud or jack up prices etc long term or stick with open dental which we all love. So guessing what the chance below items gets added/how much would it cost to program? People in my group all love open dental. If i get a ton of people it would not cost us much to individually to pay you guys instead of XDR or dexis etc.

1. Probably biggest negative complaint. Disconnect between chart and imaging where imaging was originally for paperwork and now xrays are added but it does not flow well. You would not put all your paperwork in your xray system either. . biggest issue is disconnect between imaging and chart. If you add the open dental slider control to the chart module and ideally also to the new window that opens when you double click xrays in the chart module. Its super annoying having to go from chart module to images module. Scroll through 30 folder of scanned paperwork to find the BW folder. When its already in the chart module on the little bar below chart notes. One click shows BWs, FMX, or Panos etc. Would be so much faster if you had slider to adjust contrast etc in the chart module and when you click there to open them. The function of docking them, or putting 2 sets of xrays up at same time works great but need ability to adjust the contrast/brightness that the slides does in that window. Maybe even make it usable in that window if you use the right and left or up and down arrows.

2. continuous capture like i posted about. Great for photos or endo etc. or if you dont know how many xrays you need. We use it daily in apteryx.

3. Ability to capture intraoral photos and xrays directly from chart module. My back team is used to the chart module. They dont use imaging module much and would prevent you having to go back and fort if your doing clinical things. Really just add the button for mount/acquire and the slider so guessing pretty easy? Would save time and clicks. Maybe just as an option to enable to disable depending on what you like. So make it more like an imaging "software" embedding in ope ndetal instead of an addon to open dental imaging module.

Subject: open dental and apteryx conversion
jordansparks wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:45 pm
1. Never thought about it. I'll add it to the planned features. Yes, it does sound like a good idea.
2. I would think of historical radiographs as nice to have, but I wouldn't count on much. If you don't get your hopes up, you won't be disappointed. I really don't know the answers. The conversions team might not have good answers for you either because of the complexity and variation between conversions.