AtoZ folder security with referral letters

For users or potential users.
afeuer

AtoZ folder security with referral letters

Post by afeuer » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:44 am

Hello, I'm trying to increase the security situation in our office surrounding open dental data. We are a multilocation specialty practice. We currently use a middle tier server with strong passwords and I'm happy with that level of security. The problem is our AtoZ folder. If any computer with access to the folder is compromised, we could potentially lose sensitive information for every single patient. This has pretty big ransomware risks. The folder is not encrypted and all computers/users have unrestricted access. This seems like a huge security flaw that many of us have.

First does anyone know of a good solution to keep using the standard AtoZ folder and limit permissions while still allowing open dental to add, move and delete images from the folder?

We setup an SSH sFTP server on our middle tier server and the speed is ok. Slightly slower than the normal shared folder, but it's acceptable. But there are problems that we've run into. We need to create many letters each day with images and radiographs. We've tried two solutions. The first is the letter mail merge into word. When we use the sFTP server, the word file can't be save automatically into images. If we manually import it into images and open it, we are unable to save any edits. The second possible solution was to create the letter in sheets and use patient images to import the images into the letter. This initially seemed to work ok, but whenever we print, email or create a pdf, it does not contain the patient images.

We have not tested or tried to to store the images directly in the database, but I am trying to avoid that if possible. Our AtoZ folder is in the hundreds of gigs. Could anyone confirm if the letter mail merge or printing sheets with images works with this setup?

Long story short. Can someone help me lock down the AtoZ folder with strong security while still allowing us to do either a mail merge or print sheets with images?

Thanks,
-Adam