Can no longer open PDFs in the imaging tab

For users or potential users.
TigLe

Can no longer open PDFs in the imaging tab

Post by TigLe » Thu May 26, 2022 6:44 am

We are unable to open pdf documents in the imaging tab.

I run the IT in office and have been trying to resolve this issue since Monday, 05/23/2022.

Everything had been working fine, but then we can no longer open PDFs in open dental. No changes had been made to the systems over the weekend.

We get a message stating the file cannot be found.

Jpegs, pngs, etc. all open fine. It appears to only be PDFs that wont open.

I am able to right click the file in Open Dental, then "info", and "Open Folder" and reach the files to open them manually.

I worked on this with multiple OD techs, but they weren't able to fix the issue. Tried numerous things such as uninstalling and reinstalling open dental and adobe. Also tried going switching to Foxit. Changing various default apps for pdfs and such. No avail.

I went back and started digging through event logs on the workstations and the server, but I didnt find anything related to open dental and the pdf issue.

The problem exists on all workstations and the server itself. I thought it might be server side, but everything else is working fine. I also tried updating to the latest version of Open Dental. The issue still exists.

Has anyone else encounter this problem?

jmazzie

Re: Can no longer open PDFs in the imaging tab

Post by jmazzie » Thu May 26, 2022 7:00 am

I run IT for our office as well

I've found this happens a lot when OpenDental holds Adobe open for too long

On workstations that don't use acrobat pro I've swapped to Foxit Free for pdf viewing and that has been more reliable from our experience
Jeff

TigLe

Post by TigLe » Thu May 26, 2022 7:11 am

Oof, we tried swapping to foxit and still cant open pdfs.

Link to the picture I tried to embed in the first post.

https://imgur.com/a/iXvlVXd

It'll hang for a bit, pop up that message, then the internet explorer page saying it cant locate the destination address.

I'm worried adobe might have changed configurations of something that we cant find.

jmazzie

Post by jmazzie » Thu May 26, 2022 7:13 am

Can you confirm the PDF is located on the OD file server?

Also what is the primary PDF application set it windows. Microsoft pushed an update recently to Win10 devices that changed to Edge which caused some issues
Jeff

TigLe

Post by TigLe » Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 am

Yes, I can confirm the file is located on the file server. The work around we've been doing is opening the pdf directly from the folder in the file server by using Open Dental to navigate to it as described in the original post.

The default PDF application was adobe. But we swapped to foxit in hopes that would fix the issue. I tried making the default internet explorer, chrome, and edge to test things out, but the same problem exists.

I have a feeling its related to edge, as internet explorer is also being phased out

jmazzie

Post by jmazzie » Thu May 26, 2022 7:22 am

Interesting

What build of OD are you on?

Are you on support with them? If so we've found their support calls are extremely helpful. I'd give them a call (503) 363-5432 and see what they end up finding

I'd be interested to hear what they end up finding so we can be on the look out
Jeff

TigLe

Post by TigLe » Thu May 26, 2022 7:43 am

Yes, I was on support with them. We couldn't find what was causing the problem.

I do love OD support, they were super patient and helpful in trying solutions, but we exhausted their list of solutions.

I updated to the latest stable version of OD, 21.4.48.0, to see if that would help, but no change. We were on 21.2.2xxxx, cant remember the exact version.

I will be contacting support again to see what we can do. I just want to get as much info as I can first.

Thanks for all your input, jmazzie!

rhaber123

Post by rhaber123 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:37 pm

I dont think it is an OD issue

1- Uninstall internet explorer

2- I dont know if this will help. Could be permission issue, or firewall. Something blocking access to these files.
Check the security on the OpendentImages folder on your server
Right click on OpendentImages, Properties, Security, Permissions, Edit permissions, Add, Everyone, Allow need to be checked
Allow everyone and see if this help

let us know what happen, good luck