Adding xrays to referral letters

For users or potential users.
babysilvertooth

Adding xrays to referral letters

Post by babysilvertooth » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:05 am

Hi all,
Is there a way to add an xray from third party software (XDR) into a letter merge in Open Dental?
Haven't found an elegant way to write referral letters inside OD, then having to go to XDR to separately attach xrays to an email.

Thanks

katehuza

Re: Adding xrays to referral letters

Post by katehuza » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:53 pm

I'm interested in finding a solution to this as well and just came across your post. Have you found a streamlined work-around to add x-rays to your referral letters? Thanks!

rootdr

Post by rootdr » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:46 pm

Hate to be a “me too” but that’s exactly what I’m after also.
Any proposition for this @jordansparks? And yes, I know phpBB doesn’t allow message notifications through postings. :)

babysilvertooth

Post by babysilvertooth » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:50 am

Have not found a work around yet, hoping to find a solution soon.
I'll check back periodically to make sure this shows up in search results so more people request this feature..... :D

grinfixer

Post by grinfixer » Sun May 29, 2022 4:54 am

I've always thought the referral methodology was silly. If I'm going to email a referral, why attach it? Why not just have the email serve as the referral?

In the email tab I create a template for each referral. It merges relevant patient information.

I write the referral note in a procedure note with the status being referred out. I write it in terms the patient can understand. I copy the note.

I open the email tab in the patient's chart and select the referral from the template list.

I use quick paste notes to enter the referral's relevant email address. I use the the first four letters of the e mail template name for the quick paste note.

I paste the note.

Add my signature

I attach xrays or photos.

The email gets sent to the patient and the referral.

I can easily get this done in under a minute.

rootdr

Post by rootdr » Sun May 29, 2022 9:49 am

That sounds like a scenario that works for you. You may be right, in that the way we have always done it does not mean it is the correct way.
I look at it from a perspective of the front desk staff at the referring provider's office acceptance factor.
Having to import a 1 page PDF into the patient's EHR seems a lot easier to me than dragging multiple individual images into the patient's images folder, and then creating a patient note entry and then copying the text narrative from your email into it. But each office has their own workflow and what works best for them.
Haven't decided how to deal with this, but will have to choose a method this week.
Enjoy the Memorial Day weekend.

babysilvertooth

Post by babysilvertooth » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:21 am

grinfixer wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:54 am
I've always thought the referral methodology was silly. If I'm going to email a referral, why attach it? Why not just have the email serve as the referral?

In the email tab I create a template for each referral. It merges relevant patient information.

I write the referral note in a procedure note with the status being referred out. I write it in terms the patient can understand. I copy the note.

I open the email tab in the patient's chart and select the referral from the template list.

I use quick paste notes to enter the referral's relevant email address. I use the the first four letters of the e mail template name for the quick paste note.

I paste the note.

Add my signature

I attach xrays or photos.

The email gets sent to the patient and the referral.

I can easily get this done in under a minute.
TBH, my question is about HIPAA information being sent by email, and Open Dental email encryption. My IT company uses PauBox and we send emails from outlook online automatically encrypted, does OD allow for this?

rootdr

Post by rootdr » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:48 am

OD does allow for this. Excellent information I found posted by an extremely knowledgeable DDS Richard Haber at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1148555 ... ?q=sendinc
I set up a SendInc account myself and use that.