Adjustments linked to treatment planned procedures.

For users or potential users.
EagleRidge

Adjustments linked to treatment planned procedures.

Post by EagleRidge » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:09 pm

Adjustments on treatment planned procedures.
I'm stumped and not sure if this is possible or just not a feature of OD:

I want to add an adjustment to a planned procedure. E.g. I want to do a filling at no charge. But the patient hasn't scheduled it yet. I can go in and create an adjustment for the filling, but it will show up as a credit on their account. (I don't want to refund them money if they don't do the filling).

But I also don't want to just make the filling fee $0. If the patient should someday down the road get the filling done by my partner, she would not show any production in reports for that patient. I would prefer if she produced the full amount, and the negative adjustment was equivalent on my report. This can be done AFTER the procedure is complete. But that takes some tracking to make sure it gets done, and some patients don't get back in for months.

What I'm looking for is to be able to make an adjustment that gets applied once the procedure is complete. The adjustment would go on the ledger the same time as the procedure, and I would be able to name the provider the adjustment gets applied toward. Seems like that does not exist, correct?

dqadri

Re: Adjustments linked to treatment planned procedures.

Post by dqadri » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:04 pm

EagleRidge wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:09 pm
Adjustments on treatment planned procedures.
I'm stumped and not sure if this is possible or just not a feature of OD:

I want to add an adjustment to a planned procedure. E.g. I want to do a filling at no charge. But the patient hasn't scheduled it yet. I can go in and create an adjustment for the filling, but it will show up as a credit on their account. (I don't want to refund them money if they don't do the filling).

But I also don't want to just make the filling fee $0. If the patient should someday down the road get the filling done by my partner, she would not show any production in reports for that patient. I would prefer if she produced the full amount, and the negative adjustment was equivalent on my report. This can be done AFTER the procedure is complete. But that takes some tracking to make sure it gets done, and some patients don't get back in for months.

What I'm looking for is to be able to make an adjustment that gets applied once the procedure is complete. The adjustment would go on the ledger the same time as the procedure, and I would be able to name the provider the adjustment gets applied toward. Seems like that does not exist, correct?
I do the exact same thing for patients who I'm giving a discount to, for future tx. If you double click on any procedure entry, near the lower right corner of the window is an area for a procedure adjustment. That gets applied as an adjustment only when the procedure is completed. I'm not sure if you can change the provider for the adjustment because it's tied to the provider completing the procedure, but it's probably the best place to start. When I follow this process, it will also show up on the treatment plan module immediately as well, with the adjustment showing up as a discount.
--
Danish Qadri, DMD

Lake Family Dentistry
296 Lake Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067

EagleRidge

Post by EagleRidge » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:46 am

Thanks for replying. I cannot add an adjustment in the chart module to the procedure if it is not set complete. I can add an adjustment in the account module, then going back to the procedure I can link it and it will show in the box in the bottom right corner. However, the adjustment already appears in the account ledger and does not show on the treatment plan. ?
Maybe it was in a recent update. I'm running 21.2.36.0. I'll have to look to see if that was a recent change.
Are you on a new version, or am I doing it incorrectly?

allends

Post by allends » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 am

https://www.opendental.com/manual/treat ... ounts.html

I believe this is the feature you are looking for. Discounts will create adjustments when the procedure is completed and will allow you to show the correct value on the treatment plan.
Allen
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

EagleRidge

Post by EagleRidge » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:32 am

adearmondsattler wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 am
https://www.opendental.com/manual/treat ... ounts.html

I believe this is the feature you are looking for. Discounts will create adjustments when the procedure is completed and will allow you to show the correct value on the treatment plan.
I have seen this and used it while in a solo practice setting. Unfortunately, I am looking for a solution that does not require corrections after the procedure. In a practice with multiple doctors, I cannot assign the adjustment to a provider beforehand.
E.g. My front desk schedules my child for a recall in 6 months. There should be a 100% family discount on all his procedures. But discount should come out of my pocket. If my partner happens to do his recall exam (because I'm getting a cleaning down the hall). It will look like she provided the discount for my child and thus lower her production. We have to go back later and correct it to reflect the discount under my provider name.

I was hoping there was something in OD's setup that I was missing to make this possible. Maybe it needs to be a feature request.
Thanks for replying.