Running OD in multiple languages

For users or potential users.
Mifa

Running OD in multiple languages

Post by Mifa » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:44 am

Hi Everyone,

We've just hired a new dental assistant who is not fluent in our main business language (French). In order to make her learning curve easrier with OD, I have created a new user with the default windows language set to EN-US instead of or regular FR-CA on each computer she would be working on. In doing so, I've just got a popup warning me about possible discrepencies in our database if I go down this road and try to mix French and English. I thought this would only be affecting the user interface, but apparently it is not...

What kind of Pandora box am I trying to open, what are the risks?

Thanks

Mifa

joes

Re: Running OD in multiple languages

Post by joes » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:34 am

The Windows Region and Language settings can change the appearance and behavior of Open Dental. Having a Canadian format selected is what grants access to specific features for Canadian practices. I spoke with one of our Canada experts, and they said that switching from EN-US to EN-CA should resolve the issue. It may require that Open Dental is closed and reopened on that computer as well.
Joe Sullivan
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Mifa

Post by Mifa » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:58 am

OK, thanks for the answer! So, just to make sure I understand you correctly, there is actually no risk of corrupting the database if we use in our clinic a mix of EN-CA and FR-CA workstations depending on who the end user is then, right?

joes

Post by joes » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:25 am

Having some workstations set to EN-CA and others set to FR-CA should not cause issues with the database. If you make the switch from EN-US to EN-CA and still see the popup regarding database discrepancies, I would advise you to contact support so that a technician can investigate the issue further.
Joe Sullivan
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com