Calculating Associate's Production

For users or potential users.
dpat08

Calculating Associate's Production

Post by dpat08 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:39 pm

Question...

I'm bringing on an associate. I'm paying him a certain percentage of collections. Let's say 35%. He is getting paid on basically everything except the cleaning. He's getting any treatment he does, xrays that hygiene takes, fluoride, sealants, etc. The only thing I don't want to pay on is either a child cleaning or adult cleaning. Everything else is part of that 35% bonus.

What are the best practices to get this to happen in Open Dental?

I've set his treatment column up to where he is the provider and it automatically sets him as the provider. That's easy to solve the treatment side of things.

For hygiene is gets tricky. We are going to "share" hygienists if that makes sense. It won't be that he oversees only one hygienist and I oversee another. My assumption is that whomever is setting the appointment complete will need to check that his name is listed as the "Provider" while the "hygienist" will need to be whomever saw the patient for hygiene.

Here's where I'm running into trouble, when I set the appointment complete, it looks like any exam codes plus any treatment codes are listed as "his" but the fluoride, xrays, and cleaning are listed as "hygienist" completed. The cleaning being listed as hygiene is great, but I'm not sure how to make it work to get the xrays and fluoride listed under his name.

1. Is it better to pay someone to write a query to parse the completed codes at the end of the month so I know how to pay him correctly? I'm not sure how Open Dental would know that he oversaw the hygiene patient instead of me though.
2. Is it better to set all of the codes except the 2 cleaning codes as "non-hygiene" codes. I think I'd loose a little bit of ability to track my hygienist's production at this time. It's the best option I can think of at the moment though.
3. Is there another option? I think we can go to the account module and set each code individually to be the doctors, but I think that is basically where I end up if I do #2 from above.

Thanks so much in advance...

allends

Re: Calculating Associate's Production

Post by allends » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:10 pm

We do not recommend that you change the codes to "non-hygiene" codes. That will most likely cause you more hassle in the future.
The best course of action would be to call our support team at 503-363-5432 and get in touch with our query department.
It is likely that we already have a collections query by provider and that query could be modified to exclude the codes that you do not wish to be included in his pay.
Allen
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

dpat08

Re: Calculating Associate's Production

Post by dpat08 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:36 am

Thanks so much!