New Account Screen Version 5.6.7

For users or potential users.
BonK

New Account Screen Version 5.6.7

Post by BonK » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:15 am

Why was the posting of insurance checks changed by adding another line ---(insurance payment). It was posted to the correct service date before, which was sufficient. I know it is now also, but what is the advantage to having extra transaction postings. It seems more confusing to see patient's true balance. Thank you.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: New Account Screen Version 5.6.7

Post by jordansparks » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:15 am

Because the posting date should not be the service date. It should be the date that the office received payment. It's bad accounting practice to alter history or even to make it appear so.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:04 pm

I like the new way of using the date it was posted. It is more accurate and useful.

cneelley

drtech

Post by drtech » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:18 pm

in 5.7 there will be more helpful details and ability to change colors of that new ins payment line and colors between sent and received claims and pre-auths.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Nate

Post by Nate » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:38 pm

BonK wrote:Why was the posting of insurance checks changed by adding another line ---(insurance payment). It was posted to the correct service date before, which was sufficient. I know it is now also, but what is the advantage to having extra transaction postings. It seems more confusing to see patient's true balance. Thank you.
View the following image: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii46 ... count2.jpg

I agree... it seems more confusing. It had already been posted to the appropriate claim with the correct date it was received. It seems it has been working correctly before adding the extra line. I have added an image showing what seems like an extra line. Is it necessary? As the correct date the insurance payment was received is already entered.

Also, why is there a balance on the right side? Is there a way to remove the balance because it is simply the amount we expect from insurance on the last claim out?

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:01 pm

Nate, I understand...Our office had the exact same questions when we first changed over. Everyone originally thought there were double payments entered since it showed up twice. Give it a little time though and I think you will like it.
It was decided this was good to have for chronological listings in the reworking for the account. The way it worked before, you had to look back in history to find "Current" or recent ins. payments and it appeared to changed lines in the "past." The detail on the actual claim is just detail, but start looking at the balance and payments in the new 3-column format. The 2nd entry is where the $ is actually subtracted from the balance.

Jordan can probably explain better...

btw, Jordan if you can add in the code I submitted for allowing different colors for ins payments in 5.7 for a 5.6.9b release, I think it will be easier for people to get used to this. We had the exact same question from all our staff as soon as I went to 5.6. The customizable color change to a payment color seemed to make it easier to realize that is where the payment actually occurs and the claim is just information, not a double payment.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com