Backup and Restore won't work Version 5.6.7

For users or potential users.
cneelley

Backup and Restore won't work Version 5.6.7

Post by cneelley » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:45 pm

Today I downloaded and installed version 5.6.7 to my office computer. Everything is fine. I backed it up to a jump drive and took home. Restored backup to my home Vista computer. Went to start opendental and it won't start, as it says I am trying to run 5.6.6 but that I need to install 5.6.7. Okay, but it won't let me get past this point. I reinstall over and over to no avail. I can modify, repair or remove. The only thing that works is to remove. I am trying to start opendental in administrator mode, but it just wants to install 5.6.7 and that has already been done.

cneelley

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Called support today and they fixed it. The fix involved uninstalling opendental from the Vista backup computer and reinstalling FROM THE INTERNET!!! They explained to me that sometimes there is a problem upgrading from the backup opendentimages folder, so they recommend updating the backup computer fromt the internet and then applying the backup files.

I hope this helps others who may have the same problem.

cneelley

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Backup and Restore won't work Version 5.6.7

Post by jordansparks » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:45 am

The key point here is not that it's from "the internet". The key point is that you used a known good copy of a Setup.exe file. You could just as easily have gotten this from your office AtoZ folder.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:01 pm

That is what I was using. Melissa expalined to me that that sometimes caused a problem and that it was best if I downloaded the update from the internet. Using the setup from the a to z folder was not working, this time.

cneelley

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Then yours was corrupt or had the wrong permissions on it. There is no difference.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com