Dental Training School Applications for OpenDent.

For users or potential users.
DougR

Dental Training School Applications for OpenDent.

Post by DougR » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:07 pm

Hey folks, I'm not new to technology here, or OpenDent - but I haven't looked at OpenDent since its inaugural heyday (long time!). We are a state authorized and board of dentistry approved dental assistant training school, and are moving to our own facility in the next couple of months. Our program teaches dentrix as a self-contained module, (training version), and in our current dental setting, the practice uses OpenDent, with 8 operatories. SO, we're moving to our own space.

We are starting from scratch with an open-planform training center. 3 operatories, a lab, panorex, fmx/bitewing x-ray machines. We just took delivery of our I-Max Easy digital panorex today (MFD in 2006), and other things. This will not be a dental office, it is a training platform only using radiographic typodonts/manikins etc. It's a $20k financial commitment and we are not rich, nor are we dentists. I'm the facilitator for the build out of this school, which is right around 1000 sf. I'm also the ex of the vp, whom is an experienced hard working lead assistant at a busy practice. Her partner has 30+years exp assisting and a hygienist.

I'm also a programmer, sql guru, as well as electronics tech. My past involves much experience as a technician in the bio-med industry. All around jack of all trades. Ok that's it for an introduction to where we're starting from.

We are not trying to buck the system to avoid fees or paying for technical assistance. I'm not looking for free stuff, the school has the $$$ it needs to do this the right way. Computers, I'm thinking 5 or 6, off-lease Dell's (bullet-proof in my experience), new monitors, etc. Where I'm at mentally is this:

1. Standard computer network - office is already equipped with cat5 wiring/sockets all over the place, I got that. Data switching is in place already.
2. Open Dent uses a central server? Not sure, the documentation I haven't had time to read yet, but will.
3. Integrating Digital Pano and Bitewing sensors into each work station???? Big question! The Pano we have is USB.
4. Charting/patient data functions seem to be pretty much normal things to me.

If anyone can direct me in the right direction (I'm starting out from 'clueless') I'd be happy to send you a case of your favorite booze.

Thanks all!
Doug

cmcgehee

Re: Dental Training School Applications for OpenDent.

Post by cmcgehee » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:01 am

Hi Doug,

I wish you luck on your training school. To answer your question about a central server, yes, Open Dental requires a MySQL server and a network share that all workstations can access . Most offices set that up on a Windows machine in their local office, but you could run it on Linux or in the cloud in something like Amazon's MySQL RDS. The server doesn't require very powerful hardware if you're only connecting to it with 5 or 6 computers.

I won't be able to give you much guidance on pano/bitewing. Typically these machines will need their own imaging software. Open Dental integrates with a great many imaging softwares to do basic functions like launching the patient you have selected in Open Dental.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

DougR

Post by DougR » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks Chris,
I've spent the majority of the last day or so reading the documentation here. The girls that own the school are currently using OpenDental in the practice where they've been teaching students for the last 3 years.

It looks as if the demo version of OD will do exactly what we need, especially if it's got simulated patient data built in (this is a real bonus for us). I'll be using a central linux server with windows 10x workstations (4-6). (whoops looks like the demo server is windows only).

1. Will the demo version allow for bridges to imaging software?
2. Since we are working with a donated Pano, and slightly used sensors not tied to any particular manufacturer, which image software providers do you think would work best for our new classroom setup?

Thanks for any advice you may have to boost us along!
Doug.
PS: Anyone else have experience with this process please chime in!

cmcgehee

Post by cmcgehee » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:27 pm

1. Yes, the demo version will work with imaging bridges.
2. This page lists all the imaging software that Open Dental bridges with: https://opendental.com/site/programbridges.html.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

rhaber123

Post by rhaber123 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:01 am

FREE Schick CDR Dicom - FREE Imaging software

Schick CDR Dicom software is available for free . Schick CDR Dicom integrate nicely with OD, Super easy to use, it takes few minutes to setup.
Schick software can work with Schick Sensors, Sirona Xios sensors ( low price), Fona sensors ( low price) , old Schick sensors on Ebay (low price) ....and works with many USB intraoral cameras sold on Ebay, scanners, some PANO, etc..

Some of the old sensors require a calibration file, but the new sensors don t, the calibration file is already installed in the hardware.

http://opendentalsoft.com/forum/viewto ... 7&t=6456

The demo version may have a limit on the number of patients you use ( 30 patients total). Please check with OD on how to to get the full functioning version.

Note: join OD Facebook page. It has a lot of info that users share . https://www.facebook.com/groups/opend ... ersgroup/