Remote support on machines with SRP

For users or potential users.
Ardavan

Remote support on machines with SRP

Post by Ardavan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Hello,
Our environment is using Software Restriction Policies to help mitigate the threat of ransomware and other forms of unwanted malware, which has worked great except for a small annoyance: it also restricts every remote assistance agent including OpenDental's GoToAssist, Dual Desk, GoTo Manage, and GoTo Meeting. I've generally been available to support our users and if anyone reached out to OD help it would be me (as an administrator and the person who put the policies in place I can easily get around them), but as I prepare to move on I'd like to empower the team to reach out directly without opening the network to unnecessary risk (we had multiple incidents before I finally drew the line and implemented SRPs).

I see that there is a small GoToAssist executable included in the OpenDental folder, however it's an installer which extracts to a user writable location which is not whitelisted and therefor blocked.

Is it possible for the final GoToAssist binary(s) to be added to the OpenDental folder? Alternatively do you know if it's possible to preinstall GoToAssist on our machines and have the Help > Online support link launch the preinstalled application?

Thanks,
Ardy
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

Ardavan

Re: Remote support on machines with SRP

Post by Ardavan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Perhaps if I were to preinstall something like this?
https://support.logmeininc.com/gotoassi ... 2ars050032
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

cmcgehee

Post by cmcgehee » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:21 am

Could you make sure GoToAssist gets installed to the same location on everyone's computer and then whitelist that location?
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Ardavan

Post by Ardavan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Thanks Chris,

Paths can be tricky but I found adding a hash rule worked and should continue to work until the version of G2A distributed with OD changes.

For those others out there implementing SRP the file hashed was G2AC_Installer.exe and I found it in "%TEMP%\LogMeIn\GoToAssist Corporate" after attempting to run the G2A executable in the OD folder (before clicking OK on the error!)