Open Dental since 2005 - Haven't kept up!

For users or potential users.
RickInHouston

Open Dental since 2005 - Haven't kept up!

Post by RickInHouston » Wed May 22, 2019 9:10 am

I need other user's help - I've stopped keeping up with Open Dental and need to put back the effort.

I've had Open Dental since 2005. Small one doctor office. We use it's basic features and Apteryx for our x-ray program. Send claims electronically (no attachments but would like to), chart, appt entries, recall, we text, ...

I would like to use emails to recall patients, send attachments, digitally sign chart with a connected device, ...

In order of importance, where should I start. Could I get a handle on what I should address next. I am a monthly Open Dental supporter which I rarely use so they may start getting tired of me calling.

I really don't know where to begin. I guess I could always call Open Dental. Are there resources in Houston, TX to have someone come in and access and increase our Open Dental use?

Rick Maloch
Houston, TX

Rickliftig

Re: Open Dental since 2005 - Haven't kept up!

Post by Rickliftig » Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am

Rick - similar situation here - one horse office w\hygiene. I have tried to keep up, but find myself having a tough time mastering all the nuances of new OD releases. Three ops with a computer and 2 monitors in each. One display is for the pt records, the other is ceiling mounted as is usually running a Bahama beach loop or the Cornell Ornithology Bird feeders

Here are some thoughts:
  • Our recalls are mostly e-mail and text - it's easy to set-up and there is no PHI to worry about
  • I just incorporated SENDINC for secure messaging to the e-mail system - very easy and about $60\yr. It also enters the e-mail into the chart
  • We are scanning all of our old files. We have been on OD since 2008 1/2 for records and digital xray from 2015, so the charts with xrays are going to the basement. The rest is being scanned. File cabinet will be sent to a reseller.
  • I am hoping to start with electronic eob's next (it's new in 19.1) and also scan in EOBs. I would recommend a high speed scanner
  • I am considering bill paying on line with the OD portal.
  • We are using OD for text messaging
  • I have purchased a surface tablet to be used with signature on file forms, consent and history, etc. But first, I need to upgrade to a hardware firewall.
  • Later this year - new server, backup system and hardware firewall to upgrade to Server 2016 (or whatever). I am scared to death of ransomware and want to harden the system as much as I can.
best,

another Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

RickInHouston

Post by RickInHouston » Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 am

Thank you for your reply. I like the idea of adding email for recall. Does that require a domain name email or will gmail work?

I'll start with that. Would like to get a nice graphic for a simple recall email and send it off to patients.

Thanks, again -

Rick

P.S. - I vaguely remember when you came on with Open Dental. I was watching these forums a bit (was mostly on DentalTown) and when you came on you were GANG BUSTERS with forms and ...

Thank you.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed May 22, 2019 11:11 am

RickInHouston wrote: P.S. - I vaguely remember when you came on with Open Dental. I was watching these forums a bit (was mostly on DentalTown) and when you came on you were GANG BUSTERS with forms and ...
... and then I didn't use half of what I came up with on a regular basis!!! :mrgreen:
I do a lot of autonotes - recall and restorative in particular.

I get annoyed with how exam\consent forms are hidden in OD and am hoping that the tablet will help me use them more throroughly. One feature that I have adored is "copy previous chart" in Perio charting. I have also appreciated that over the years the program has been organized and cleaned up. I still have a ton of ideas on how I would tweak it, but my feature request points are longs since depleted!
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net