Accessing Open Dental via the browser idea.

For users or potential users.
Justin Shafer

Accessing Open Dental via the browser idea.

Post by Justin Shafer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:52 am

So I had this idea awhile back to see if Open Dental would work within a browser, using another program called VirtualUI.

https://demo.inverdent.com

The username and password is demo. I have written a chrome extension that allows you to scan documents and bridge with applications that reside on the client's computer. It could be ran from Amazon EC2 as well as VMWare Workstation or an actual physical computer. Feel free to contact me for a demonstration on the chrome extension.

https://inverdent.com/OpenDentalExtension.exe

After the installation, go to Google Chrome's extensions and enable developer mode. Load the extension from the folder which is C:\Program Files (x86)\Open Dental Extension

Then you can try to scan, or say run XDR or Dexis.

What do you think? VirtualUI requires licenses per concurrent user:
https://www.cybelesoft.com/product/thin ... r-license/

wjstarck

Re: Accessing Open Dental via the browser idea.

Post by wjstarck » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Freaking cool.

Justin Shafer = the man
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 am

It's kinda neat. I don't think this setup is for "everyone"... Like someone with a single location, doesn't really need this except it would be kinda cool for remote access... all in all... I would just use LogMeIn or Splashtop or etc.

I am supposed to get 5 locations that are all separate and combine them, and it is up to me on "how"... so....

Middle tier works, but I read on the forum it can be slow (Irfan).. So speed improvements were put into OD 18 to help with this and from what I can gather it did help. But... not AS fast as a normal lan setup... I haven't used it with a large database myself, just played with the middle tier using an empty database so of course it is fast for me.

Replication works.. but... One location this doc has, has awful internet.. So they use a 4G LTE router at that location.. (with voip) and I wonder about bandwidth with this setup vs replication... Cuz it doesn't seem wise to use mysql replication over 4G LTE.... ???? Maybe I am wrong. So I was leaning torwards middle tier but then I saw this product and was curious if it would work... Of course there is the option to just leave this location out of the entire equation..

Either way.. keeping all my options open. Oh and the Doc REALLY wants to use Dexis... which... I guess I could make work with a vpn connection to the same computer hosting open dental.. and use Dexis 10 with MS-SQL... And then all the x-rays would be accessible... Either that or get him to go with Apteryx XVWeb. Which works quite well with this setup.. They currently have a mix of databases.. XDR.. Sidexis.. Apteryx.. Dexis... Only one will survive. :D Dexis is not really well known for their conversions either I don't think... Apteryx would be the best...

irfan

Post by irfan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:30 pm

XDR update for you Justin ... works for all functions decently well. Will of course be muuuuuch faster hosted on amazon vs my 10mbps uplink but it’s functional at least.

You should host the whole thing on amazon and skip the database replication BS. Each login to virtualUI would be to a VM that’s on the virtual LAN and it would just function like it’s all local with no database lag