suni imaging

For users or potential users.
murmsk

suni imaging

Post by murmsk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:52 am

I have been playing around with the direct suni capture and I must say it works pretty well. I think my images are better than w/ their software!! I assume there will be work done to finish this module in the future. I am excited with what is there.

Couple of questions

How does the exposure control work in setup?

what is binned?

All of my images seem to end up w/ molars to the center . It seem like not only does it automatically rotate them but sometimes the images will be inverted. Is this possible?
How do I change this?

Great work

steve
steve

drtbar

Post by drtbar » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:32 pm

I am considering buying suni sensors to go with OD. Do you need to buy suni's software or will OD direct capture the xrays? Or can't you just buy the sensors and have to buy the software as well?

drtech

Post by drtech » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:09 pm

yes, i just recently got one sensor with out the software and it works great.

I really haven't used it much for regular situations because I am having problems with holders

any advice on what holder to use with a suni sensor (and plastic shield?) The setup that came with the sensor just seems to tear the plastic cover.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:40 pm

I got a sensor off E-bay with their software and just last week started using it directly through OD and I must say I get MUCH MUCH better images with OD than I get from Dr. Suni . I was about ready to chuck the whole thing due to crappy images.

As it sits now you can only use one sensor and only has a 4 BW mount.

It works exceptionally well intuitive as we have all come to expect OD to be and once finished will be a great feature. I am impressed!

I sure hope the team finishes this module sooner rather than later.

steve
steve

drtbar

Post by drtbar » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:01 am

When you say you can only use one sensor, I'm assuming that means one at at time correct?

How much money can you save by not getting the software?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:22 am

Yes, we do automatically rotate and flip the images depending on their location. A "complete" sensor implementation would let users specify this flipping and rotation themselves.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:58 am

I think it is $800 or $1000 for the software from suni
David Fuchs

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:41 pm

I got my sensor off e-bay for $4200 which was new in a sealed box with one copy of the European (in english) version of the software. I assume they have a different pricing structure for Europe.

I love the simplicity of OD. When finished it will be wonderful.

steve
steve

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:33 pm

I too bought a suni sensor package on ebay for $4200. It is the european version. I wonder what the USA version costs. Dr. Suni software is the International version of software, where Professor Suni is the USA version. Anybody know the difference?

I know that the Suni people were perturbed that dentists in the US were being sold the international version<I don't have a clue why> I wonder if it was the price?

I too am looking forward to more mount options. Here is a vote to move it up on the list.

Dr. Neelley

sonria

Post by sonria » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:20 pm

I got an used Suni sensor size 1 on ebay for $2500 without software. The important thing is that every sensor need a specific driver related with the number on the sensor (Driver CD).

It works good but I only have a problem and is that comparing with XDR, the time that takes to take the image is way longer. The XDR sensor with its own software is really fast compare with the Suni integrated in OD. I even try the sensor with the XDR software and there is a delay.

I am not sure if it is the sensor model itself or the suni sensor capture in OD that it takes a while to process all the information. I already upgrade the version of Suni sensor but it still takes a moment to get the image once you have shot the xray.

Somebody has the same delay? Thanks

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Yes, My understanding is that the problem is that the USB box that we attach the sensor to is what actually processes the image. So, it is the usb box that is slow.

Dr. Neelley

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:31 am

David,
I have the same trouble with the plastic covers ripping. I took the sensor holders they sent me and trimmed the prongs so they are not as tight. Now they snap on instead of sliding on. Much better but not perfect.

steve
steve

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:48 am

i guess I should try that on the holder. Anyone have a good holder to use with files in for endo?
David Fuchs

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:37 am

Not specific to Suni sensors, but we have tried quite of few holders and have finally settled with holders from Troll Dental. The staff seems quite happy with them.
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101
jparks@paterafamilydentistry.com

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:57 pm

For endo, I have been using the old finger holder successfully for years. Just have the patient hold it next to the tooth as best as they can. Works great.

My biggest concern with digital sensor is the problem with the wire for upper anterior and especially lower anterior teeth. I am using the Troll dental holder with the Suni sensor. Works great for posteriors. Tearing has not been too bad of a problem, Palmero Health Care plastic sheath.

I suppose that for upper anteriors it is best to use the Troll Dental holder, use a cotton roll, and can't close much at all. The lower anteriors are the biggest problem, and I suppose that the old finger holder may work best?

cneelley