ADOBE READER HELL

For users or potential users.
enamelrod

ADOBE READER HELL

Post by enamelrod » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:01 pm

I am having the worst time with adobe reader crashing Open Dental
Are there any other PDF readers supported inside of open Dental

On 1 computer Open Dental crashes when ever we attempt to open scanned files. I have looked everywhere for a solution and it seems to be a known bug in adobe with not defined patch.
I have done the antivirus check re install but nothing seems to solve it.

any recommendations?

cmcgehee

Re: ADOBE READER HELL

Post by cmcgehee » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:58 am

Yes, as of 17.1 we switched to using an embedded Internet Explorer browser for displaying PDFs. Internet Explorer's default PDF reader is Adobe Reader, but you can turn off that plugin and install a different PDF reader. I think at one point I was using Foxit Reader to view PDFs.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:17 am

To fix Adobe Reader preview in OD images module (if it is still using adobe reader)

Open Adobe Reader DC by typing that in your start menu:
Click the Edit Menu
Click the Preferences Menu
Click the Security (enhanced) section.
UNCHECK "Protected Mode on Startup"
Accept the warning.
Push OK

It will work now in OD

You must repeat this process on EVERY computer.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

pcmann

Post by pcmann » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 am

I switched recently to Foxit reader. Loads faster and you can change the default view settings easier. I like to be able to see the whole page of a document instead of always fit to width with Adobe or others.

bcpayne

Post by bcpayne » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:04 am

For months I had an issue on my office computer that 75% of the time that I was viewing a pdf in the images module, OD would just dissapear (crash and close without any messages) and I would have to open it again. Sometimes frustratingly comical- opening and crashing -over and over.

I tried turning off "protected mode at startup" on adobe with no improvement. I already have Foxit Phantom installed and is my default for pdfs, so I didn't think foxit reader would change anything....

Finally I did install Foxit Reader and went to the foxit reader preferences\file associations\advanced and told it to set foxit reader as default for browser, preview and thumbnail. Restarted OD and so far no crashing. I did not uninstall adobe or have to do anything specifically in internet explorer to modify plugins.

Hope these details might help prevent frustration for somebody else.