Could not find path to A-Z folder upon version upgrade. Bug?

For users or potential users.
ForrestGumpDDS

Could not find path to A-Z folder upon version upgrade. Bug?

Post by ForrestGumpDDS » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:23 pm

I noticed this behavior quite a few versions ago. I'd say a year or longer.
When I upgrade to the next version, as a part of the upgrade I have to re-launch the application. During this first launch (regardless what workstation I use), I get the "copying files" message and then I am able to see the login screen and validate my credential, but after that I see the "Could not find path to A-Z folder" warning and it does not help to specify the path. The app does not see the folder.
I need to close the OD and re-open it again, and everything works well.

cmcgehee

Re: Could not find path to A-Z folder upon version upgrade.

Post by cmcgehee » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:45 pm

When you open Open Dental, do you typically run it as an administrator? Perhaps when Open Dental relaunches after upgrading, it does not have high enough permissions to read your A-Z folder.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

ForrestGumpDDS

Post by ForrestGumpDDS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:33 pm

cmcgehee wrote:When you open Open Dental, do you typically run it as an administrator? Perhaps when Open Dental relaunches after upgrading, it does not have high enough permissions to read your A-Z folder.
Sorry to be late with responses, I am subscribed to the replies, but somehow do not get notifications when the topic receives the reply.
I run the OD updates as a regular user on regular user windows account. It asks to elevate privileges. A-Z folder is on network, Samba share. Mounted on each computer as Drive:Z
The admin account indeed does not have the same setup (drive Z linked to Samba share).
Do you think this is why?

cmcgehee

Post by cmcgehee » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:58 am

It sounds like there's something fishy going on there with permissions. I'm personally not familiar enough with Samba Share to give a more educated response.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:23 pm

You don't need to mount drives anymore, at least with all versions of windows 10. Just set your path to "\\server\oddata" (substitute the actual path) instead of "z:\" and I bet it will work and you won't need to worry about mounted drives on different accounts.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com