New UI/UX for OpenDental

For users or potential users.
nwdentist

New UI/UX for OpenDental

Post by nwdentist » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi all,
Is anybody thinking or envisioning of updating the UI/UX of OpenDental to match the look of Windows 10 apps?!

Just my thoughts, as many have told me the software looks complicated (I call it sophisticated, and I quite like it).

I did some research on software design, and keep thinking how nice it'd be if recommendations like UWP (universal windows platform) and fluent design elements get applied in OpenDental?

I'm no engineer, and I have no idea what it takes or how much of work it is, just me thinking the software would 'look' awsome and shiney, if it resembled the design of Windows 10 apps.

Any thoughts?
Sina

cmcgehee

Re: New UI/UX for OpenDental

Post by cmcgehee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:07 am

There has been more talk lately about updating Open Dental to have a more modern look. We expect that this project would talk a gargantuan amount of engineering time, so that is why we have not tackled it yet.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

dgraffeo

Post by dgraffeo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 pm

Gargantuan is not an over-estimation. Some things that need to be thought about from an engineering and usability standpoint for each form we change: Is it easy to get to? Is it intuitive for the users? Is all previous functionality still there? If we have to change something, is it going to make things easier or harder for users?

Building a new application from the ground up would, in many respects, be far easier to do in the modern way of UI design than taking our current application and changing it. I would honestly love to update the UI but I don't think it is going to be done for quite some time.
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Make it a Windows Store App! :D

nwdentist

Post by nwdentist » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 am

Justin Shafer wrote:Make it a Windows Store App! :D
Hey Justin,
What's your take on this issue? Open Dental as WUP app?
Open Dental on Microsoft Store; is it an so-out-of-tune thought? Would that be unnecessary?
Sina

rajg

Post by rajg » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm

I would rather have a web app. Then it would be OS agnostic to the desktop clients.

Ardavan

Post by Ardavan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:18 am

One benefit of being a windows store app is that it could run on "S" editions of windows. I haven't ventured inside Microsofts's walled garden so I can't say if the effort is worth it, especially given how frequently new builds of OD are released.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer