Tooth Range

For users or potential users.
drforlano

Tooth Range

Post by drforlano » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:32 am

The tooth numbers don't show up in the progress notes for procedures assigned "Tooth Ranges". This is confusing especially when bilateral fixed bridges are planned. Can the tooth numbers/range show up in the "Tooth" column on the progress notes?

For single tooth numbers, we don't have a problem.

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:18 am

The tooth numbers still do not show up in our progress notes when we are treating a "tooth range". I tried to solve this problem by widening the "tooth" field display box, but it still doesn't show up.

Can anyone help?

We do not have this problem with single tooth numbers.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:02 am

I'll put it down as a request.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drforlano

Re: Tooth Range

Post by drforlano » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 am

I would like to make a second request to have the "Tooth Range" show up on the progress notes, in the Tooth column.

If a pt is having a fixed bridge placed from tooth #3-5 and a fixed bridge in another area of the mouth, there is no way to delineate those two procedures in the progress notes. There are times when we may work on these simultaneously, or one after the other, and the staff gets confused which one we are working on.

If a pt is having a crown on tooth #3 and a crown on tooth #19, we can see that in the progress notes. Why not for fixed bridges?

Thank you.

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Thu May 08, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm surprised no one else finds this a problem. What is everyone doing when they have a patient treatment planned for fixed bridges in multiple quadrants?

I've been adding the tooth range to the beginning of my default notes so that I can identify that particular bridge as I scan thru my progress notes, but it's an extra step. Also, the tooth range doesn't show up in the accounts module. How does your front desk know which bridge is currently being prepped, billed, paid for,....???

Don't want to be a pest, but inclusion of the tooth range in the progress notes seems so necessary to me. :?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu May 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Because bridges are in the system as pontics and retainers. Bridges are tooth procedures, not tooth range procedures. It's only the prep that is a tooth range procedure. Preps don't show in the Account module because they are no-fee.

This request is classified as high priority. Its position near the top of the list reflects that. But it's not critical.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Fri May 09, 2008 4:27 am

Thanks for the high priority status of this request. I eagerly await the addition.

I've taken a paradigm shift from the standard codes in regards to fixed bridges. We have 4 procedure codes for a fixed bridge;

B0001 - Bridge Imprssn for Temp
B0002 - Bridge Prep & imprssn
B0003 - Bridge Try-In
B0004 - Bridge Insert

We apply the fee for the bridge on the B0001 procedure. We attached these procedures to the appointments.

Everyone involved understands these simple steps; the front office, the chairside assistants, and even the patient! This is more consumer friendly than "abutment, pontic, porcelain fused to....,"or whatever the terminology is.

Once the tooth ranges show up next to these procedure codes in our progress notes, we're golden!!!

Still interested in how others OD users are designating multiple fixed bridges in their progress notes. Please respond. Thank you.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri May 09, 2008 6:36 am

How on earth do you send a B0001 to insurance? And if the patient is supposed to do it, how on earth do they know which codes to use without you telling them? The disconnect doesn't seem very consumer friendly.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Fri May 09, 2008 7:13 am

I use the ponitc and abutment codes for the prep appointment, I then have a procedure code called prosthetic step. I use the prosthetic step code generically for follow-up appointments but place a note in the appointment as to what I am doing...I also have a bridge insert code which I use to document the completion date.
Seems to work OK.

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Fri May 09, 2008 7:37 am

50% of our patients don't have insurance, so for them these B0001,.. codes have been working great.
We do the same for all other procedures: Crowns, C0001,..., Implants, I0001,... Endo, E0001, ...
This way we have specific procedure codes for each appintment. We call them Appointment Codes.

(We decided to tailor our practice systems to those without insurance instead of those with. This can be debated, but that's what we chose to do and it works).

For the 50% of patients with insurance, we do it similar to DavidWolf, we use the American Dental Assoc code for the billing, and then these codes just as DavidWolf's "prosthetic Step" code...and this works great too.

It is just that seeing the tooth numbers in the progress notes would be helpful in identifying the specific bridge when a patient has multiple bridges.
Was wondering how others identify bridges in the progress notes.

Thank you again for keeping this matter a High Priority.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat May 17, 2008 5:25 pm

Done. There wasn't room in the ToothNum column, which was why it was missing in the first place. So we tacked it onto the end of the description instead.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:59 am

Thank you, but I still don't see the tooth range in the progress notes. I'm using version 5.6.32

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:02 am

I just realized your note said it is t"acked on to the end of the Description". Not sure what you mean. Should the tooth range show up in the Description column? If so I'm missing it.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:28 am

It was added as a feature for version 5.7. http://www.open-dent.com/manual/version5_7.html We try not to add features to non-beta versions because it decreases stability.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm using version 5.9.7 but the tooth ranges don't show up in the progress notes or the account module. Please advise.

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:23 pm

Never mind, I see it in the "Description" column. Thank you. I thought it would be in the "Tooth " column.

When I assign a "paint type" to a "tooth range" procedure, the graphics don't show up.

For example; patient is having crowns on #6-11, we created a code for "multiple crowns", assigned a paint type and a tooth range,...but the graphics don't get displayed. Any solution for this?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Yes, I just noticed the tooth range bug about an hour ago. I've put it on the bug list.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:36 am

Great. Thanks very much!!!!!!!!!!!!