Installation

For users or potential users.
wune125

Installation

Post by wune125 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to install open dental to my computer. The computer is running Windows 10. I'm trying to install the software, but always get this pop up.
"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Access to the path C:\Program Files (x86)\MSQL\MySQL Server 5.5\my.ini' is denied"

The only thing I do differently on the install is change the last two boxes on the install window to D:\ instead of C:\.

Can you tell me what should I do?

Thanks

rscottdds

Re: Installation

Post by rscottdds » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Did you "run as administrator" (right click on the icon) the first time you opened OD? Its been awhile but I think that's what I had to do.
Robert A Scott

wune125

Post by wune125 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 am

Yea, this was the first time I installed OD on this computer. This worked perfectly. Thank you for your help!!

wune125

Post by wune125 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:31 am

Hi,

I"m trying to network the computers together. I have the computers networked on windows, I can see all of folders for open dental, but than when I put the computer name in the server name (in the choose database windows) it says it cannot find the SQL to connect. But when I click on the network folder I can open and close the folders on the server computer. Can someone help me with this problem?

Thanks

cmcgehee

Post by cmcgehee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 am

This is likely due to port 3306 being blocked on your server computer. The workstations need to use this port to talk to the server, so it is necessary to open this port on the server's firewall. http://opendental.com/manual/port3306.html explains how to do this.
Last edited by cmcgehee on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

wune125

Post by wune125 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:10 am

Thank you, that was very helpful. Everything is working perfectly.

So I am wondering I want to use my old server as a regular workstation. Will I have to uninstall open dental and than reinstall it as a workstation or can I just change the database? I tried to change the database, but unable to because when I click on choose database the box is grey and I cannot click on it. Please let me know

Thanks

cmcgehee

Post by cmcgehee » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:10 am

You will not need to reinstall Open Dental to do this. To switch the database that you connect to, you will need to get the Choose Database window to open when you're starting up the program. You might need uncheck the box "Do not show this window on startup" checkbox by going to File -> Choose Database.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com