File path too long to copy

For users or potential users.
teamhowey

File path too long to copy

Post by teamhowey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 am

I have been having problems with getting a manual backup lately. My nightly server backup seems to be working ok. Backing up to a 1TB encrypted USB using the manual backup comes up with the problem of not enough space or authority error. Usually, at the end of the day, I would kick everyone out of the xrays, shut down yapi and NEA, shutdown any video/IO camera capture... and the backup would run fine. Lately it has not, so last night I shut down all the computers, turned the YAPI service off, ran the net stop MySQL cmd and tried the backup and it had the same error. So I tried to just copy and paste the OD images file to the USB. Came back this morning and there was one file that was hung up that said the file path was too long (or something to that effect) with the file name being just a ton of random letters. I hit skip and the paste seemed to be finished after that. Being early, I didn't write down or screen shot the error. Was wondering if someone knows how to overcome this?

Thanks

bpcomp

Re: File path too long to copy

Post by bpcomp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 am

The problem that I'm concerned about is that anytime I've come across an error like this where the file name is a bunch of random characters and is too long, there is usually an underlying disk error leading to disk failure. Please check the health of the disks on your server and see if any scans come up with bad sectors or clusters. If you get any results that are positive for disk errors then replace your disk(s) right away. If you are not comfortable with migrating HD's and you do find a HD error then you may need to get an IT person to help you with replacing your disk. You may have to get OD support involved if an images was corrupted and the DB expects to find a file but that file is missing. (may be able to pull the file from a previous backup so try to keep some copies of your older backups while you get this issue resolved.)

If you scan your disks and come up with no errors, I would scan once a week for the next couple of months just to make sure. It may be that the disk slowly degrades for the next several months/years or it might decide to take a dump suddenly. In my admittedly limited experience, file with sudden random character long name to long to copy = disk failure.

teamhowey

Post by teamhowey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:46 am

I will run the scan, but I am in the middle of replacing my server and getting things transferred over. One of the times I tried backing up to the new server, it didn't complete. It will back up the data just fine, but gets the error when trying to include the images.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 am

So you are getting the error on the new server? You should definitely run some disk health utilities and make sure everything is good. If the error originated on the old server then I wouldn't stress to much about it since you are retiring that machine.

teamhowey

Post by teamhowey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 am

I don't think the error is on the new server as we were running the manual backup on the old server.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 am

Sounds like you are getting out just in time. Copy what you can out of the images folder and then trace which file(s) is giving you the error. If it is just an image for John Doe, try to see if you have a copy of that one file on an older backup and replace just the one file on the new server. If that is the case then everything should be OK.

teamhowey

Post by teamhowey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Resolved the problem. It was an imported xray file for a patient that was sent from another office and encryption that gave the file a really long file name - rqmGoCdJ2hmdjR4VN6NwcLEBAN6d9mh_FyhBaH987QAC9NhenSkVzAyWqwAIv3zO1stdbUxbFvUTaKEso0don1usxyzmmAnKFytQ-Lu_GL7xa01a7I6t4yQ=s0-d-e1-ft -

I think someone just imported a whole batch of xrays into a patients chart. Opendental's manual backup would get hung up on that and give the error of not having enough storage space on the drive or proper authority. Found the file by trying to copy and paste the images folder again, found the name of the file it was hung up on, and then had to search the OD image folder to find the file. Got rid of the file and everything is back to normal.

Thanks for the help.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Glad you got it resolved. Good luck with the rest of your migration!