Backup really slow all of a sudden

For users or potential users.
JLM

Backup really slow all of a sudden

Post by JLM » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 am

For various arcane reasons I moved my server from a Windows 10 Virtual Machine to a Windows 7 Virtual Machine and upgraded OD on the same day. Now the backup function is excruciatingly slow. Like 5 times longer than before. It takes 2.5 minutes compared to 30 seconds before. Is that a consequence of the OS change or the OD change? Can I speed it up again?

Jim Margarit

cmcgehee

Re: Backup really slow all of a sudden

Post by cmcgehee » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:21 am

The time it takes to do a backup is a function of the size of your database (and possibly images) and the speed that your computer can copy files. There haven't been any updates to Open Dental that have increased the size of the database by a factor of 5. An update might add new database tables, but they are usually empty; even if an update were to add a column to a heavily used table, it wouldn't increase the size of the total database by more than 1% or 2%. So I would look at how fast it takes to copy several large files on your new virtual machine. A couple other things I would check is if you are now making your backups to a networked location which would introduce network latency or if you previously excluded images from the backup and now you are including them.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com