Replace workstation

For users or potential users.
RickInHouston

Replace workstation

Post by RickInHouston » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:53 am

12 year Open Dental Software owner.

For about two months, now, my XDR sensor in hygiene has been 'cutting out'. I talked with XDR and they think the sensor is fine from the limited diagnostics they could run. I tried a different workstation with the same results.

BUT, stupidly I used a workstation that had very similar PARTS. I now realize the motherboard from Intel is no longer being supported. I'm wondering if a Windows 10 update somehow has caused this issue.

I brought a computer from home (it's funny how none of my computers are really current spec, anymore. I just don't need latest and greatest). I've set it up and will see over the next two days if I have the same issues with it.

If I find that the old workstation was too old... (and I've built a few computers in my day) should I buy a shuttle and put the parts together? Just go to MicroCenter,Fry's, ... and buy a Dell as bare as bones possible workstation? How about an all-in-one since the monitor is probably old, as well???

Will an i3 fly with Open Dental or should I bump it to i5???

Thanks,

Rick Maloch
Houston, TX

Rickliftig

Re: Replace workstation

Post by Rickliftig » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Rick - pick up an off-lease Dell Optiplex 7000 series on e-bay (with Windows 10 Pro installed) (7000 series or XE2)
You don't need much processing power for a workstation and the Dells are a solid as the come - price is right too- $350 and under.

For monitors, I've been going Dell also; I don't this that the Ultrasharp is a necessity, But I have purchased them new from B&H, etc

IMO, Dell has become the de facto standard for Windows

best,

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net