maximum connections

For users or potential users.
Tom Zaccaria

maximum connections

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:16 am

Having an issue connecting to mysql that network guys can't seem to fix.

Getting an error message 'unable to connect to mysql, maximum connections reached'.
We are running windows server 2012, mysql 5.5, OD 17.2.13 with a combination of 20 desktops, laptops and notebooks, some wireless, some hard wired. It works fine for 19 connections but not with 20. IT guys say that the connections are not being released when someone logs off as it should. We tried increasing the number of connected files to 150 or more but that doesn't help. The only way to get all 20 computers connected is to stop the mysql service and restart it again. This is a pain bc I am the only one that know how to do that. Plus stopping and starting should'n be necessary.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

drtmz

cmcgehee

Re: maximum connections

Post by cmcgehee » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:41 am

You should be able to fix this by increasing the max_connections variable on the server. Be sure to put it in the .ini file so it sticks when restarting the MySQL service. If someone logs out of Open Dental but keeps the program open, the database connection will be retained. To end the database connection, it is necessary to close the program completely.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 am

We switched to Windows Server 2012 so that we could prevent that error from ever showing up. We have at 20+ connections all the time without running into that particular error you speak of.

Seriously, this problem you are having should never have surfaced -- it only happens in the Windows world and it is annoying and time consuming when it happens.

Have you given any thought to releasing a Mac version? We run OD under virtualization right now without any issues, but from personal experience, we have a lot less issues with connectivity with OSX systems. I am certain you would get a lot less service calls which waste your time if you had a Mac platform.

Just my two cents....

cmcgehee

Post by cmcgehee » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:41 am

This particular error is coming from MySQL so it is independent of the operating system. We have not looked seriously at programming a Mac version of Open Dental because there has been little interest from our customers. To avoid the issue of reaching the maximum number of connections for Windows file share, you have the option of using Linux for your server.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software

stjames70

Post by stjames70 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Although there is little interest for it from your current customers, I think there would be a lot of interest for OSX based dental offices who use OSX based practice management software.

I guess you will just never find out.

Tom Zaccaria

Post by Tom Zaccaria » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:39 am

The .ini trick seemed to work for now.
Thanks
drtmz

mmd

Post by mmd » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:13 pm

Open Dental has been recommended to us by a friend who has run 13 offices on it and loves it. We are on Macs now (Macpractice) after transition from Dentrix 3 years ago. Really hate reporting, accounting, and marketing in Macpractice. Clinical is fair. We left Dentrix due to our system being too unstable with 20+ computers. Stability is great with Macs. It's just that we hate Macpractice. So- just voicing our wish that Open Dental was available for Macs, without running the parallels. I bet there are more people out there who would like this too?

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:19 am

mmd wrote:Open Dental has been recommended to us by a friend who has run 13 offices on it and loves it. We are on Macs now (Macpractice) after transition from Dentrix 3 years ago. Really hate reporting, accounting, and marketing in Macpractice. Clinical is fair. We left Dentrix due to our system being too unstable with 20+ computers. Stability is great with Macs. It's just that we hate Macpractice. So- just voicing our wish that Open Dental was available for Macs, without running the parallels. I bet there are more people out there who would like this too?
Why don't you just run OD in VMWare Fusion (free) on the Macs?
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

cmcgehee

Post by cmcgehee » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 am

Another option for running OD on Macs is by using Remote Apps.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6679
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software