Procedure code Default Notes

For users or potential users.
Hersheydmd

Procedure code Default Notes

Post by Hersheydmd » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:56 am

The use of a default note attached to a procedure code would be nice for those procedures where the chart note is long and almost always the same. It should save time by skipping opening the AutoNote window, choosing the AutoNote from the list and then clicking "OK".
There are several problems I see with setting up a Default Note in Open Dental.
  1. First, the default note is not attached to a new procedure note while it is still in tx plan status. The default note only appears after you sign the note and set it complete.
  2. If you need to make any slight edits to the note, you have to re-open it, edit it and then sign it again.
  3. If you sign all the proc notes attached to an appointment and click "OK" on each one, they remain in TxPlan status and the default notes are not visible. When you then go to the appointment and set it complete, all the procedures attached to the appointment are marked complete and the default note appears on the chart. The signatures are valid on all the procedures that did NOT have a default note. But the procedures that had a default note are marked "invalid signature". I believe this would be avoided if the default note was present in the tx plan, before the note was signed.
  4. If you follow the instructions in the Edit Procedure Code window to "...To do so, use the following format: [[AutoNote Title]]" You end up with a signed note that shows "[[AutoNote Title]]" in the body of the note. To actually get the note you want you have to set the procedure complete and then reopen it. When you reopen it you get your AutoNote Prompts and you can create your note and then sign it again.
It's extra work and doesn't make sense that you have to set the note complete before you can edit it.
This seems more like a bug than a feature request.

Example:
Procedure code D0431:
Oral Cancer exam - Examined soft tissues of mouth, cheeks, lips, tongue, palate, soft palate, uvula with illumination from oral cancer screening light. Palpated and examined soft tissues of oral cavity, submandibular glands and neck. No unusual findings. No clicking, Popping, or Crepitis noted in TMJ's.
Occasionally I have to edit the note to indicate a positive finding, such as clicking in the TMJ or a lesion on the soft tissue.
The logical work flow would be to see the note in txplan status, edit it if necessary, and then mark it complete. As it is currently so cumbersome I've stopped using default notes.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

cmcgehee

Re: Procedure code Default Notes

Post by cmcgehee » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:28 pm

I can agree with you that the current workflow for default notes is less than ideal. Technically, this feature is working as it was intended to work at the time we wrote it, so it is not a bug. Feature Request 4026 address the inability to use default notes on TP procedures.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

allends

Re: Procedure code Default Notes

Post by allends » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Dr. Hersh, I think I have a solution for you that you will be quite pleased with.

1. In 17.2 there is a feature for adding default TP notes. This note is completely separate to the completed procedure note (which is the current functionality in 17.1).
2. As Chris said, this is the way that feature is intended to work.
3. You are correct that the new 17.2 feature will alleviate your problem. When you update you will need to switch those notes from the Completed Note tab to the Tp'd Note tab.
4. In 17.2, that autonote prompt will appear for a treatment planned procedure if that autonote was located in the Default TP'd Note.
Allen
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com