Alexa Integration

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Alexa Integration

Post by Rickliftig » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:05 am

A comment by Chris McGeehee on the Facebook forum got me thinking.

Since we live in that semi-sterile environment most days, how could you use Alexa or similar in the ops?
How about:

- Print factsheet on endo for this patient
- Print informed consent sheet for extraction
- Print post-op instructions for ...
- Set appointment complete
- create task for (name) ie) order more gauze

Chime in... i'll cross-post to Face book.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

john_moses

Re: Alexa Integration

Post by john_moses » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:45 am

I am extremely interested in how Alexa works in an office / patient setting. Right now you could use Alexa to get information about your practice or the industry, but you can not get information about patients or post information about patients because Alexa is not HIPAA compliant yet.

I have made some prototypes around information from the industry, here is one I made that reads dentistryiq news to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OCWksX4Drc. I made it last year and sent it over to a few of the editors at dentistryiq to see if they were interested but they never responded.

I am working on one to read information about your practice like:
* what is my daily production
* how many missed appointments
* how many views did my website get today
etc.

I have been working with the Amazon Alexa Life Sciences team and Alexa is still pretty far away from being HIPAA compliant because of the far field microphone functionality. They are actively looking at it, so it will probably happen but who knows when. They did tell me that they have Alexa skills that are passing PHI around and they have not taken them down from the store because they feel that if the user installed it, they and the software developer are taking responsibility for bypassing HIPAA.

With all that said, I love Alexa and the upcoming voice user interface revolution that I think is about to happen.

If anybody has some really good ideas and would be interested in helping me with product discovery I would love to hear from them: john@sendthereminder.com
John Moses
https://www.sendthereminder.com
Automated patient communication system: reminders, overdues, confirmations, newsletters