Antivirus Software

For users or potential users.
Nate

Antivirus Software

Post by Nate » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:27 pm

I noticed Open Dental website does not recommend any specific antivirus software but are there any that cause less issues as of 2017? I have heard Bitdefender and Kaspersky are very effective at virus detection and Ransomware. Any recommendations from others? I would like to find a good antivirus program that also detects and prevents Ransomware attacks while at the same time work well with Open Dental.
Thanks

Rickliftig

Re: Antivirus Software

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:52 am

Nate: Malwarebytes has worked fine here; however, Cryptoprevent, which is designed to stop ransomware, kept our electronic claims from being sent to Change Healthcare. Cryptoprevent also stopped Open Dental from completing an update.

Lorne Lavine (thedigitaldentist.com) just ran a one hour webinar on security... I assume that you can replay the session by going to his site or contacting him.

Best,

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Nate

Post by Nate » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:28 am

Its great to know Malwarebytes has worked well with Open Dental. Do you know if it will also help prevent some of the common ransomware?

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:39 am

Don't know about that - check out their website for the latestI just read today that Microsoft will be addreessing the issue in the next release of Windows 10 asometime this fall. Until then, backing up regularly and limiting internet access is the best defense.

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

mafiaxxx

Post by mafiaxxx » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 am

For my clients i use the sonicwall firewall devices withthe gateway antivirus.
The router scans the network traffic before it reaches your office and cleans anything it finds, all before it hits your computers.
I also use malwarebytes on the local machines as a backup to the sonicwall.
Short Circuited Computer Services
Medical and Dental Computer Techs.
http://www.shortcircuited.net

S. Silvestri

Post by S. Silvestri » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 am

For Anti-Virus..
Symantec Hosted Endpoint Protection - Small Business Edition
https://hostedendpoint.spn.com/

This has worked great for us and has not caused any problems with OpenDental. Since it is cloud based, it can be access from anywhere. Also, in the Policy settings you can easily find OpenDental under Program Control and add it as an exception. The new versions are added to the list as well. They have decent support, when you finally reach a tech. Have always answered all my questions.

I always turn off the anti-virus when I do an OpenDental update, just to make them go smoothly. Again since it is cloud based, it automatically filters to all the computers. I turn it back on, as soon as I am done updating all the computers.

For a physical firewall...
I recommend Sophos
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/n ... specs.aspx