Not able to start OD after moving A-Z folder to new server

For users or potential users.
ForrestGumpDDS

Not able to start OD after moving A-Z folder to new server

Post by ForrestGumpDDS » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Hey guys, I hope it's something simple.
I moved the A to Z folder from one virtual server (CentOS5) to another one (CentOS7).
Migrated MySQL the same route about 2 months ago, have had 2 servers for awhile and now moved the AZ folder.
The OD starts all the way to the login screen which shows current entries of users correctly. Then i encounter a "Windows needs to close the program" exception.
I have a DNS that resolves the same old server name to the new IP and the DNS has been there for awhile, no problems. The server "name" is a samba share windows name. I can access the content of the share from the machine which I use to start the OD. The real domain name is resolved to the new IP by DNS.
I thought the uid of files did not preserve, and it didn't. Fixing it didn't help. Any suggestions?
Out of ideas.

cmcgehee

Re: Not able to start OD after moving A-Z folder to new serv

Post by cmcgehee » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 pm

What version of Open Dental are you on? There was a bug related to images in earlier versions of 17.1 that caused the program to hard crash. It was fixed in 17.1.15. If you're on an earlier version, I would try updating.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

ForrestGumpDDS

Post by ForrestGumpDDS » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Yes, 17.1.10
I called you guys and spoke to Chris, he remoted in the latest setup on my computer and that fixed the problem.
There was also max_allowed_packet size problem again, I'm not sure why it keeps resetting.
Now, I'm on the latest version.
I also noticed the support for SSH for the A-Z folder connections. Very cool!
Edited. I just realized the error I posted in this post does not belong to OD.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:57 pm

ForrestGumpDDS wrote:There was also max_allowed_packet size problem again, I'm not sure why it keeps resetting.
Your new virtual server might not have the correct settings within its my.cnf file. I would copy over your my.cnf from your old server and update any settings that are specific to the old server over to the new one. Sometimes this is frustrating to do if you have different versions of MySQL installed on each server because they have changed what variables are called and what they do.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

ForrestGumpDDS

Post by ForrestGumpDDS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:30 am

jsalmon wrote:
ForrestGumpDDS wrote:There was also max_allowed_packet size problem again, I'm not sure why it keeps resetting.
Your new virtual server might not have the correct settings within its my.cnf file. I would copy over your my.cnf from your old server and update any settings that are specific to the old server over to the new one. Sometimes this is frustrating to do if you have different versions of MySQL installed on each server because they have changed what variables are called and what they do.
my.cnf was the first place I looked.
Even though it had been set for a maximum there and the service had been restarted after that, I was still able to see the max_allowed_packet value not being correct from withing workbench database export settings. I set it from within the client, and the export proceeded w/o errors. The import did not, and there was no import settings for the max_allowed_packet. But I could changed it from the general clients settings, by going to variables and doing the search on "allowed".
After that the import succeeded.
Just setting max_allowed_packet size in my.cnf did pretty much nothing.
That was a few months ago. I figured, that every time you restart the service, those values I set from withing the workbench window get reset. I will need to find the actual place on a filesystem where these settings are residing. To my limited knowledge, I expecetd them to be in my.cnf and only there.
The problem is solved for now, I will look into the permanent solution on mariadb forums.
Thanks!

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:02 am

ForrestGumpDDS wrote:Just setting max_allowed_packet size in my.cnf did pretty much nothing.
If you are not using the Open Dental suggested table type of MyISAM (Linux chooses InnoDB by default) then you would be correct and need to start looking into additional settings like innodb_log_file_size for example.
ForrestGumpDDS wrote:The problem is solved for now, I will look into the permanent solution on mariadb forums.
If you edit your my.cnf, restart the service, and the global variables do not reflect your my.cnf changes then you are not editing the correct my.cnf file. Your mariadb forum searching to start with the answer to that riddle.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

ForrestGumpDDS

Post by ForrestGumpDDS » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:23 pm

I converted to MyISAM as soon as I installed the new server.