Changable font sizes throughout program

For users or potential users.
azukibean

Changable font sizes throughout program

Post by azukibean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:33 pm

New to this forum as I am a new OD user. I was wondering if anyone knows how to enlarge fontsizes in this program. For example, I have only 2 ops and would like to enlargen the names of the patients on the schedule printout. Often find myself squinting trying to read who's coming in. I'm hoping someone out there knows how to make the font size just a little larger even on the screen. I think easydental had a setup option like that. I really love working with the program so far.

:P

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:43 pm

The schedule printout can be made better by printing from a small monitor with low resolution, like 1024x768, because it's a screenshot. As for changing font sizes throughout the program, it's very low priority. You can get very cheap huge monitors on http://www.tigerdirect.com which will make everything bigger. We're using standard font sizes. Yes, EasyDental had an option like that for the appointments, but not for everything else. With the much larger monitors that are now available, that option is not nearly as useful. In fact, when I used to use Dentrix, I had set the font to 6 or 7 I think, so that I could see the whole day on an 800x600 screen. Those days are long gone. I'm typing this on a monitor that is 1600x1200 and could fit four of those screens.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

DonDDS

Post by DonDDS » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:58 pm

not sure if you try this
1. Right click on empty desktop, then in Display Propery Windows, click Appearance, then chose Large Fonts.

or

2. Right click on empty desktop, then in Display Propery Windows, click on Settings | Advance | DPI Setting | Custom Setting |move the curse to about 110%.....

Both of above methods will make the font in OD, but it might be a problem if it is too big then text does not fit into the pre-determined OD box
LumaDent, Inc | CEO & Founder
OD since 2006, ex-Mogo, ex-Dentrix

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:26 pm

Don't do either of those things. Everything will malfunction.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

DonDDS

Post by DonDDS » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:30 pm

jordansparks wrote:Don't do either of those things. Everything will malfunction.
I've been using method 1 "Large Fonts" for a a few months....Everything is fine.... Dr. Sparks, what is "malfunction"?
LumaDent, Inc | CEO & Founder
OD since 2006, ex-Mogo, ex-Dentrix

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:24 pm

Really. Well, various labels throughout the program might be getting cut off at the end. Changing the DPI would be worse because all the grids will have rows that are too short, resulting in the lower portion of the text getting cut off. Changing the DPI back is something we've had to do for a number of people over the years who have called wondering what the problem is. So I guess nothing really malfunctions; it can just look not so pretty.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

azukibean

Post by azukibean » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks for the replies. I can't see myself changing the resolution just to getting a bigger font on the schedule printout. Changing the overall dpi and font size in Windows will affect my other programs. I still believe that having the ability to change fontsize in certain aspects of the program would be a nice addition, but it is not an necessity.

I'm happy with the solution I've come up with. I get the schedule printout and make copies using the ENLARGE feature on my copy machine.

I do appreciate the suggestions made.
Sherri

atd

Re: Changable font sizes throughout program

Post by atd » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:27 am

We've only been using Open Dental for a month now, but I have had multiple users request increasing the font size - especially for the procedure notes. We're using laptops since we're a mobile program, so getting a larger monitor isn't an option. Some of the laptops we have use widescreen higher resolution displays for better digital x-ray viewing - but that makes Open Dental text even smaller, and reducing the screen resolution makes the screen fuzzy and therefore the x-rays not sharp enough. I'll be purchasing additional laptops as we convert our other clinics, so it's going to be difficult to decide what type of display to go with. If there's a chance this could be an approved feature request, that might influence my decision. Is there a "recommended" optimum screen size and DPI I should aim for?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Changable font sizes throughout program

Post by jordansparks » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:55 am

Everything is optimized for 96 dpi and a minimum of 1024x768 screen size. Yes, I can see that small screens on laptops could cause a problem like you describe. Put it in as a feature request. I've been on vacation, so approvals are a bit behind, but I'll get caught up quickly tomorrow. Once approved, it will find its place among the other requests, based on use demand.
Jordan Sparks, DMD