Mysql

For users or potential users.
Anthony J Turner

Mysql

Post by Anthony J Turner » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:21 am

I have been backing up at night offsite with MozyPro. I run Win 2000 server so I sched the mysql to stop for 1 hr to run MozyPro.(Win 2000 doesn't have shadowbackup) I need to know if a workstation has OD open when mysql is shut down will I corrupt my database?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:10 am

No, definitely not. What you might possibly end up with is a bunch of annoying error messages when you go to the workstation. You might have to forcefully shut down OD.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Anthony J Turner

Post by Anthony J Turner » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks, I hope to resolve this issue soon by settting up a Samba server.

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:47 pm

why not use mysqladministrator to do a scheduled backup then backup these files to mozy? It will momentarily shut down mysql then backup into one file. we have 7 schedules m-f and a monthly and a noon so I always have 7 sets of different data backed up.

steve
steve

Anthony J Turner

Post by Anthony J Turner » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:15 pm

Is that something you download or is it a part of mysql.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:58 am

It should already be on your server at C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\MySqlAdmin.exe or something similar to that. But I don't care for that tool. I think it's very unintuitive. I've always thought of it just as a way of starting and stopping the MySQL service. I didn't know there was a scheduled backup tool built in.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:12 pm

Your right it is not as nice as some of the others but it is free and once it is set up it works fine. I have it set so it does a backup each day called mon, tues , wed, etc to the same directory. That way there are always 7 different copies of data in one easy to backup directory. These files along with my image files are then Rsynced home and mozyed every night. I used to copy them to every computer in the office but I got worried about physical security of the data so I now only have one computer with data on it with multiple offsite backups.

steve
steve

murmsk

Post by murmsk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:17 pm

Yes it has a nice scheduled backup tool that takes some time to learn as the docs lead a little bit to be desired. It dumps it into an asci file which I don't completely trust . But I will say it has always restored at home.

steve
steve