signature capture

For users or potential users.
drforlano

signature capture

Post by drforlano » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:37 am

I've been entering my progress notes by clicking "set complete" on the Procedure Window. That enters the default note, sets the procedure complete and brings you back to the chart. However, now that we are using topaz signature pads we have to go back into the Procedure Info window to sign...and then select "complete" from the dropdown menu...two extra step.

Is there a way to enter the default procedure note and sign the topaz signature pad without leaving the Procedure Info window?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:20 pm

The "set complete" button in that window is not the typical way of doing it. You should instead be attaching procedures to appointments, and setting the entire appointment complete with one click.

But now that I look at that button again, I think it might be more useful to not have it also close the window. Of course, if we change the behavior, someone will certainly complain, so we might instead add a second button up there.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:06 pm

We do attach the procedures to the appointment. If we set them complete with just one click from the appointment book module, I don't have the opportunity to edit or sign them...I would still have to go into the
Procedure Info window. This is not the worst thing in the world.
Jordan,... Open Dental and your support is incredible! Thanks.

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:07 pm

PS...a second button that doesn't close the window would be great.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:58 pm

If you just set the procedures complete, you risk forgetting to set the appointment complete, don't you? And there are a number of procedures that do not require notes or sig. And you have to set the appointment complete anyway, so why not include the procs in that process?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:02 pm

I rely on the front desk to set the appointment complete and rely on the providers to set the treatment notes complete.... this way business and clinical have their seperate responsibilities. I may be wrong in my thinking...(come to think of it, they are frequently reminding me to enter my notes). I will try it your way, but I'm uncomfortable having the business staff set my notes complete because they really aren't in the operatories and don't know if there's been a change in the planned procedure.
Thanks.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:22 pm

Do you have computers in the ops? The chairside assistants should be setting the appointments complete, editing them to reflect what was done, and helping with the chart notes. No, the front desk should not do this. This should be done approximately when the patient is first seated in the op. Is this the moment when you are currently setting your procedures completed?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Yes, we have computers in the ops. I'll try your recommendation. Thanks again.

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:57 am

I've noticed that you can right click on the appointment in the chart and a drop down windows opens which has "set complete" as an option, but when you click set complete on an appointment from the chart nothing happens?

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:34 am

I understand the various ways to set an appointment complete, but my original concern was to be able to enter the default notes and sign the signature pad from one screen....just like paper notes...you would write down your progress notes and sign it, period, done.

I'd like to enter my default notes and sign it, period, done..................and then anyone can set it complete,...the provider, the asisstant or the front desk...whoever.

Perhaps there could be a "Enter Default Notes" button that would enter the default note AND activate the Topaz Signature pad.

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:23 am

I've been getting an error message upon closing OD. My IT guy thinks it has to do with the signature pad . He states it mentions sigplusnet.dll module. Any suggestions?

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:51 am

I get that same message on every computer that has a signature pad. I am using Dell Optiplex Workstations with WinXP. Doesn't seem to hurt anything but it is a pain.

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:35 pm

I'm using the same machines and same operating system.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:08 pm

I'll put it down as a bug. If it's during shutdown, it's harmless but annoying.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:10 am

As per your advice, we've been setting the appointments complete via the check mark on the appointment book. This seems to be very efficient,...so efficient that I am getting lazy and not signing the entries.

It is somewhat inconvenient having to go to another screen, namely Procedure Notes, then click the Sign Topaz button, then sign it, and then hit OK. Wish there was a quicker way.

Are most users signing their chart entries? How concerned should I be from a medico-legal standpoint?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:02 am

I would not be concerned about signing your chart notes. Most users don't. But you do have to edit them, so you have to go to that screen anyway. The edit process will eventually be made more efficient in situations where there are multiple procedures on one appointment. The reason it's not as important to sign computer notes as it is paper notes is because Open Dental already archives all changes. You can't make a change to any note without it being tracked by user. So you already entered your password when you logged in to prove it was you who made the change. Archived monthly backups would further preserve the historical trail and add credibility to a claim that a chart note was not altered after the fact. Altering computer records would actually be harder in this case than forging brand new paper records in an old style chart. There is one state, I believe, that has the signature requirement for computer records written into law. I'm sorry, but I can't remember which state.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks. I think I'll nix the signing process. Let me know if you think of that state...especially if it New York.

One more thing, if the dental assistant is to set the appointment complete when the patient is seated, who should be logged on to that computer, the assistant or the doctor?

Because if she is logged on and sets it complete, she is actually entering my progress notes for me...and she is uncomfortable having her name listed next to my progress note. Especially if I don't have to edit anything.

I'm inclined to think that the doctor should be logged onto the computer in the operatory, and just allow the assistant to set the procedure complete.

Am I wrong in my thinking. Please clarify.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:47 am

If the assistant is the one who entered the notes, then she would be the one who is logged in. I see no problem with her name being on the notes. She'll get used to it. In my experience, people usually thrive when they're given more trust and responsibility. I think they let assistants place fillings in Oregon now. I've been meaning to look into that, because my assistants might very well soon be placing fillings. I know they can do it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drforlano

Post by drforlano » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:12 am

OK. Thanks