dummy codes?

For users or potential users.
enamelrod

dummy codes?

Post by enamelrod » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:33 am

Can people give examples of how they are using dummy codes?

example we have a seat code, or a membership recall code.

JimZ

Re: dummy codes?

Post by JimZ » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:44 am

We use them for "no charge" visits. For example, under our Procedure Buttons, we have Maxillary Denture. That treatment has four procedure codes associated with it that correspond to our appointments. The D5110 is used when we take the impression and a charge has been incurred.
For the Centric Records appt, we use N4103-Centric Records
For the Wax Try in appt we use N4134-Wax Try In
For the Delivery appt we use N4120-Denture Deliver
If we have a Mandibular Denture, the only code that changes is the first (D5110 goes to D5120), all other are "neutral". Same for Crown inserts. We use the ADA code at the prep/impression appointment and a N4118-Crown Seat for the insertion appointment. Of course, we have expanded to include codes for Gold Crown Seat, Ceramic Crown Seat, or Veneer Seat,etc. On those occasions that a crown doesn't fit and I need to take a new impression, we have a N4145-Crown Impression. The possibilities of these are limited only by your office's imagination.

Jim Z

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm

JZ my imagination is huge but sometimes its great to see how everyone else is using it. I have been using them for as long as I have been an OD user . Which is quite some time. Now that I think about it it was before this current forum was formed, but anyway just trying to see if i could be missing some uses.Dang Im getting old.

bpcomp

Post by bpcomp » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:02 am

This post makes me tempted to add some codes to our system, like an ID-10T code, but it would probably create more problems than it solves.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:30 am

Maybe the biggest problem with dummy codes is keeping track of them and organizing them. Once you use one, you can't delete it, because it is already posted to patient accounts. You really have to start with a clear framework from the get-go (which unfortunately, I did not). Also, you tend to create unwanted detail - looking at my list I see: biteguard deliver; flipper deliver, retainer deliver, repair deliver, rpd deliver etc. What was I thinking? I should have simplified the many codes into one.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Rickliftig wrote:Maybe the biggest problem with dummy codes is keeping track of them and organizing them. Once you use one, you can't delete it, because it is already posted to patient accounts. You really have to start with a clear framework from the get-go (which unfortunately, I did not). Also, you tend to create unwanted detail - looking at my list I see: biteguard deliver; flipper deliver, retainer deliver, repair deliver, rpd deliver etc. What was I thinking? I should have simplified the many codes into one.

And now you know my reason for asking the question. I didn't want to create all of these floating codes

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Rickliftig wrote:Maybe the biggest problem with dummy codes is keeping track of them and organizing them. Once you use one, you can't delete it, because it is already posted to patient accounts. You really have to start with a clear framework from the get-go (which unfortunately, I did not). Also, you tend to create unwanted detail - looking at my list I see: biteguard deliver; flipper deliver, retainer deliver, repair deliver, rpd deliver etc. What was I thinking? I should have simplified the many codes into one.
This is turning into a more interesting topic than I first thought.
Organizing them is not an issue for us as they all are located in the No Fee category. Keeping track of them, yes it can be taxing. Unless there is another way that I'm not aware of, the benefit to us is the insert will color code the restorations accurately in the chart. Our insert dummy codes will show the prosthesis in the color we selected for Existing Current. I don't know how to accurately reflect this because we charge fees at the impression appointment not at the insert appointment. I realize not everyone can do this so maybe it's more of an issue for our office than others.

Jim Z

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:08 am

Jim I agree with you on charging on some of those codes. I have set up certain insurances that pay on seat day. half the fee on prep and the other on seat date.