Win 10 update

For users or potential users.
Hersheydmd

Win 10 update

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:17 pm

This past week I have noticed that Windows 10 has been updated my computers (you can't turn it off in Win 10, like you could in previous versions). Today my server went through the update. Now OD is crashing every 10 minutes. Anyone else experience this?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

Hersheydmd

Re: Win 10 update

Post by Hersheydmd » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:26 pm

It is also taking a long time for the chart to load where it used to take a second. This is where it is crashing. I am getting "Not Responding" then "Open Dental has stopped working"
I can't get any work done. URGHH
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:50 am

Rob - I had issues too as the updates took place. However, my issues were with Vixwin (Gendex imaging) and not OD. I also had a number of problems over the last several months each time W10 was downloading updates in the back ground. (Error msg - "Vixwin has stopped working")

This only happened on one computer in one room (hygiene of course ("Dr. Liftig - the computer's not working" ARGGGGHH)). I had replaced the box once and it still happened. Went through a ton of gyrations and back and forth with Gendex tech support. It turns out that the problem was the video card. AND, when I replaced the box, I transferred the video card to the new box. So it looked like the problem was the room and the hygienists :mrgreen: .

Solution : Turning off 3D acceleration and/or putting Vixwin into Windows 7 compatibility mode seems to have solved the problem. Maybe this will help for your OD setup?

Also, can you check the windows error\event log and find out what module was crashing?

best,

Rick

PS - I'm missing chunks of hair from this episode.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Hersheydmd

Post by Hersheydmd » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the reply. Fortunately, so far today, no problems. Everything is working smoothly. Can't explain it. Maybe the computer just needed a night of rest.
BTW, for future reference are you referring to the Windows error\event log found in Computer Management, or something specifically in OD?
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Rob --

It's in the event log under computer management (windows)

If you type "event log" into the W10 search box, it will pop-up. Once you find the module that keeps generating the error, yoou've got a big clue as to what is happening. I hope that now that the updates will only be once a month that this behavior starts lessening.

BTW, whenever a big update comes through, the sensor driver seems to disappear and need to be re-installed (requiring a re-boot). It always happens with that first exposure of the day (grumble,grumble). W7 doesn't do that.

Best,

Rick
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

JDs

Post by JDs » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:12 pm

Rickliftig wrote: BTW, whenever a big update comes through, the sensor driver seems to disappear and need to be re-installed (requiring a re-boot). It always happens with that first exposure of the day (grumble,grumble). W7 doesn't do that.
I'd check the device installation settings. Try Win-X, System, Advanced System Settings, Hardware, Device Installation Settings. Set to No.

JLM

Post by JLM » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:24 pm

Yep, my entire network went down Monday, 9/26/16 because Win 10 updated on the physical box. My servers run in VM's. I had to download and update vmPlayer to 12.5.
( If every vm in the world was going to die this week unless you upgraded vmware, shouldn't they at least shoot their customers a email? )

Open dental works on every computer except one. It's a slow, old Win7 with 2GB of memory that's slow enough to run VixWin.
It cannot access MySQL or MSSQL databases any more. I am assuming a firewall issue. Windows has slammed the firewall shut in the past with no interventions from me.

Jim.

JLM

Post by JLM » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:59 pm

JLM wrote:Yep, my entire network went down Monday, 9/26/16 because Win 10 updated on the physical box. My servers run in VM's. I had to download and update vmPlayer to 12.5.
( If every vm in the world was going to die this week unless you upgraded vmware, shouldn't they at least shoot their customers a email? )

Open dental works on every computer except one. It's a slow, old Win7 with 2GB of memory that's slow enough to run VixWin.
It cannot access MySQL or MSSQL databases any more. I am assuming a firewall issue. Windows has slammed the firewall shut in the past with no interventions from me.

Jim.
Oh Goody, Now every workstation is simultaneously upgrading. Can wait to see what windows breaks now... Can't wait for the choruses of "Dr Margarit!!! The computers doesn't work! What did you change this time?"
My staff called me on my cell once with the same complaint. Since I was in the car on the highway in the rain and on the way to my Mom's funeral, I assured them it wasn't me.
Turned out that my APS UPS fried and took the network switch with it.

Jim