Billing Patients Multiple Times

For users or potential users.
Annesa94

Billing Patients Multiple Times

Post by Annesa94 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:08 am

We typically balance bill a patient (from the account module), when the insurance payment comes in and is recorded. When we run the billing from the manage utility, these same patients are coming up in the billing list i.e., sent a statement on 8/25 but they are popping up in the billing module as needing a statement on 9/2. The date since the last bill is accurate i.e., says 8/2/16 (and a statement was sent 8/25) but they are still popping up in the list for billing. Any idea what we are doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance.

Arna

Re: Billing Patients Multiple Times

Post by Arna » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:52 am

I'm guessing that you have your billing preferences set to send another statement if a payment is made on the account. The preference is labeled 'Include any accounts with insurance payments, procedures, or payplan changes since the last bill'. If that preference is checked, a new statement will be generated for patients that have had that listed account activity, regardless of their last statement.

The other thing I see a lot is offices who ignore walkout statements. That's great (I do it), however it will show in the list as the patient receiving a statement after the expected date of your last billing. Double check those patients that have statements listed aren't just looking at walk out statement dates.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:08 am

Annesa94 wrote:We typically balance bill a patient (from the account module), when the insurance payment comes in and is recorded. When we run the billing from the manage utility, these same patients are coming up in the billing list i.e., sent a statement on 8/25 but they are popping up in the billing module as needing a statement on 9/2. The date since the last bill is accurate i.e., says 8/2/16 (and a statement was sent 8/25) but they are still popping up in the list for billing. Any idea what we are doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance.
The other issue is you may be sending the statement from the patient's account instead of the guarantor account. The billing list at the end of the month is accurate for guarantors only. We had a difficult time understanding this until we discovered how this was slipping through. Now the FD sends any statement throughout the month from the guarantors account and the "batch billing" at the end of the month is accurate.

Jim

Arna

Post by Arna » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:30 am

JimZ wrote:
Annesa94 wrote:We typically balance bill a patient (from the account module), when the insurance payment comes in and is recorded. When we run the billing from the manage utility, these same patients are coming up in the billing list i.e., sent a statement on 8/25 but they are popping up in the billing module as needing a statement on 9/2. The date since the last bill is accurate i.e., says 8/2/16 (and a statement was sent 8/25) but they are still popping up in the list for billing. Any idea what we are doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance.
The other issue is you may be sending the statement from the patient's account instead of the guarantor account. The billing list at the end of the month is accurate for guarantors only. We had a difficult time understanding this until we discovered how this was slipping through. Now the FD sends any statement throughout the month from the guarantors account and the "batch billing" at the end of the month is accurate.

Jim
Excellent point. I'll add this to our web manual FAQ. Thanks.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

Annesa94

Post by Annesa94 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:41 am

Thank you very much!