Yapi not so impressed

For users or potential users.
noestervemb

Yapi not so impressed

Post by noestervemb » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:26 pm

Switched from Easy Dental to Open Dental a month ago and things are already working so much better. Heard great things about Yapi so had the demo, asked a bunch of questions and liked what i saw. Got it installed and just did the training. Turns out a lot of the things i thought it could do it cant.

1. Medications on the Ipad. We use open dental and have around 800 medications for patients to select from. On Yapi you have to scroll through from A to Z to find the ones you want. It should be possible to just start entering the first letter like a search function. They didn't show this in the demo but def seems odd to me they dont have that feature. Trainer said to just use "other". Issue it in order to sync with open dental you can then only have 1 other medication so it would clutter your open dental when our patients are on 10-15 medicatiions and you have to list them a one long list of text. And if you actually select the right medication open dental (if set up) also shows what the medication is used for etc if you dont know it. And if we finally get a lexicomp bridge to open dental medication that would be even more important to not have medicaitons listed as "others" planning ahead.

2. No Kiosk function. I really like in open dental with sheet you can send all the forms to a kiosk and then the patient fill them out. On Yapi you have to do it on the tablet, then lock it to make sure the patients doesnt exit yapi and then hand it to the patients. Much time wasted.

3. If you put in other for medications it import it into the note field in open dental so you can see it. We were told we could also do that for problems. Say patient says he has had a knee replacement, pt could then write below it donein 2014 (on our current health history it says please explain if you answer yes to this questions). Turns out it cant do this, it can only do this for medications.

So far not impressed as a few key issues for us is not there. In open dental it always tells me if the patient is arrive, ready, seated, checked out etc anyways so that doenst help much. And we can also use open dentals paging system so the exact same thing. Open Dental has webforms etc. I was just trying to not have to set all that up. We mainly wanted to use the medical history on the ipad to amke it easier for patients. But rightnow it seems like i will get a windows tablet instead and not even start using it.

Does anybody else feel this way or am i just being super picky? I know if we were still using easy dental Yapi would make it soo much easier but with open dental i dont feel like it adds that more. But i feel like right now ope dental and a windows tablet might be the way to go and just cut my losses. Anybody happen to think the same or care to share what they are currently doing?

rambochambo

Re: Yapi not so impressed

Post by rambochambo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:45 pm

We have had a while. Never got past the medications issue you mentioned. We use it as a glorified paging device. Just bought a tablet I'm going to try. Surface 4 I believe. Has a stylus and the OD seems to work great across our network wireless. It has an issue with Dexis imaging in that we can't change the font size enough to make it legible. I am going to attempt it with Apteryx and Kodak as we have both of those at another office. I'll let you know how it goes.

nanfad

Re: Yapi not so impressed

Post by nanfad » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Open Dental is not really made for touch. There are a lot small fields to edit and punch that was designed using the precision of a mouse. Using a Surface ifyour computer savvy works, but if your not, then you'll have a lot of missed punches and such.

With regard to the kiosk function, its the same thing. Made for a mouse and a keyboard. Hand your patients a windows surface tablet with the kiosk open on it and you'll soon realize its not very touch friendly. Patients are used to iOS and Android for touch applications. Its best to stick with things that are familiar to them.

The best touch apps are those that are made for tablets. I'm not aware of any dental apps that are written for windows 10.