Problem with XDR after server upgrade to Windows 10

For users or potential users.
Mifa

Problem with XDR after server upgrade to Windows 10

Post by Mifa » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:02 pm

I know, this is not an XDR forum, but since many of us use the combo OD/XDR, I'm taking a chance... I have upgraded our workstations to Windows 10 last week. Everything went fine, OD, XDR working as expected the all week.

I have now just upgraded our OD/XDR server to Windows 10. OD and XDR work just fine on the server. OD works fine on all workstations as well, but I'm getting a "missing image" placeholder in XDR for each image whenever I open an exam for any patient on any of the workstations. I have tried to disable firewall and A/V on both end (workstation/server), renewed the sharing/security permissions on the XDR data folder and subfolders on the server, tried to run it with admin/regular accounts. No joy!

Can anyone point me in a direction where to look? I would hate to have to rollback the server to Windows 7...

Thanks

Mifa

Mifa

Re: Problem with XDR after server upgrade to Windows 10

Post by Mifa » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:17 pm

I think I found it. I had to change password protected sharing to off on the server in Network and sharing center > advanced sharing settings > All networks > Password protected sharing > Turn OFF password protected sharing.

I can't recall how it was in Windows 7. But it seems to solve the problem...

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:36 am

I would advise turning the password protection back on and then making sure each of your workstations have the right credentials to log in to your server. It sounds like now you are running a completly open and vulnerable server...Make sure that you do not use Homegroups, that just seems to cause problems for me. That will prevent unauthorized users who might gain access to your network from snooping your files.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

Arna

Post by Arna » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:56 am

As Dr. Fuchs mentions, turning off password protected sharing is a bandaid solution and increases your vulnerability.

When you turn it back on, you should browse to your XDR image files in your File Explorer. You'll be prompted to enter your network credentials. Do this and check the box to remember the details. (It's the same principle as OpenDentImages).

If you're using map drives, you'll need to check the permission for the user (including the Admin account... everyone forgets the Admin permissions).
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer