Open Dental being shut down by virus scanner?

For users or potential users.
jourdo

Open Dental being shut down by virus scanner?

Post by jourdo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:49 am

I updated to 16.1.32 the other day and since then, my virus scanner does not like Open Dental. It has been removed on multiple computers being detected as a threat. I am creating exclusions to hopefully prevent this problem from recurring. Until I get a chance to do this, I have had to shut down the scanners completely (which scares the hell out of me with my techno-challenged staff).

Has anyone else found this happen?

I use Avast for Business if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

bpcomp

Re: Open Dental being shut down by virus scanner?

Post by bpcomp » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:40 pm

In almost every virus scanner, there is an option to ignore certain directories which it looks like you are going to do. We have always set our anti-virus to ignore our practice management if for no other reason than preventing slowness. We also limit the antivirus from scanning network drives. There is no need to have a dozen computers all scanning the shared folders on the server when the server is already scanning that folder. This is another thing that can cause slowness and issues on your network.

If you got your binaries from some other source than www.opendental.com then you might want to be careful about someone taking the source code and putting a virus into it. Other than that, it's probably the heuristics giving a false positive. I would have Avast ignore OpenDental as standard practice even if you were not having this issue.

jourdo

Post by jourdo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:01 am

I set the exclusions last night and came to the office today to have the problem repeat itself. It seems like Avast "forgot" the exclusions that I entered and removed Open Dental again on multiple computers. Shut down the shields for now until I can sit down and go through things again. So frustrating!

Any suggestions for a decent alternative to Avast? I give up trying to make these two programs place nice together.

Arna

Post by Arna » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:10 am

We use AVG here and have had very few problems (all anti-virus seem to cause at least some kind of issue).
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer