Move open dental server to a new computer

For users or potential users.
khdilger

Move open dental server to a new computer

Post by khdilger » Wed May 18, 2016 2:00 pm

I bought a new computer to move open dental on to. Can I simply perform a backup of the original server and install the setup file that resides in OpenDentImages to install OpenDental on the new computer? Does that setup file give you the option to install MySQL onto the new computer?

Is there any licensing information that needs to be transferred? I am on OpenDental Support.

Thanks,
Kenny

jsalmon

Re: Move open dental server to a new computer

Post by jsalmon » Wed May 18, 2016 2:31 pm

You need to run the trial version installer on the new computer in order to get MySQL installed. Once installed you can migrate your database over onto the new server.
http://www.opendental.com/trial.html

In theory (if your current version of OD is higher than the trial) you should also be able to install the trial version of Open Dental on the new computer and connect to the Open Dental database (once transferred over) locally and it should automatically update your version of Open Dental to whatever version your office is at.

You can either do that or manually run the Setup.exe, both should work just fine.

Feel free to give us a call if you are at all nervous about doing these things alone, that's what we're here for!
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

khdilger

Re: Move open dental server to a new computer

Post by khdilger » Thu May 19, 2016 1:18 pm

I followed someones posted procedures on what they do in the event of a failure. Worked pretty well. I then installed the desktop version of OD from the setup file off the server to put the OD interface on the new server. Only thing I need to do is get XDR to license a new install on the new server.

I have yet to have a need to use my backups. I have been relying on crashplan but I am not sure that will be a good way to handle it and get back up and running quickly. I have my server backup up files to another local computer via crashplan as well as Crashplan central.

Do you guys mostly recommend a nightly backup to a USB stick that is taken off site?

The below instructions were taken from someone who posted them on the forum.

Step-by-Step Restore 

1. Go to computer that will be the temporary server
2. Note what version of Open Dental the office is currently running (12.2.16.0)
3. Download trial
4. Install as “New Server,” but uncheck the Open Dental Program install, follow the instructions and do “Typical” MySQL install not custom or complete.
5. If last backup was on a different computer than the one you are using as the temporary server, copy the last backup to this temporary server.
6. I'm not sure if it is really needed, but rename the backup version of the folder “opendentimages” to “OpenDentImages”
7. Replace the following folders with the backup versions by pasting the backups over the existing ones (use the move and replace option):
“opendental” this folder is found in C:\mysql\data
“opendentimages” this folder is found in C drive, it is not under any other folders
8. Share these folders by right clicking on them, select “properties” then click on the “Sharing” tab. Click “Advanced Sharing” then select the “Share this folder” box. Don't change name of folder.
9. Open Open Dental on the temporary server and change database from “SERVER” to “localhost” and see if the update is working. If you can't solve any problems from here on you can at least use this computer to enter all the data in until the others can be connected to it.
10. Note the name of the computer you are using as the temporary server (today is PRIVATEOFFICE)
11. Open port 3306:
Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type firewall, and then click Windows Firewall. 
In the left pane, click Advanced settings. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
In the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security dialog box, in the left pane, click Inbound Rules, and then, in the right pane, click New Rule.
Follow the instructions in the New Inbound Rule wizard:
Select port and click next
Select “Specific local ports:” and enter 3306 and click next
Choose “Allow the connection” and click next, next, and name the rule “OD port”
12. Go to each workstation, log on to Open Dental with Administrator access and click File, Choose Databse
13. In the Server Name box change it from “SERVER” to whatever your temporary server's computer name is as noted in step 10 above
14. Click ok and that should be it