Wireless # automatically gets a US format

For users or potential users.
drawab

Wireless # automatically gets a US format

Post by drawab » Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 am

Hi

Im an Open Dental user (foreign) - the Wireless Phone field in the Family window - whenever we try to enter a cell phone number - it automatically defaults to add a 1(xxx) xxx-xxxx format

Our numbers are in the 11 digit format 0123-4567890 but after entering the 8th digit is suddenly adds the 1(012)345-67890 - i can understand this setting for US data - but in the case of foreign data the field setting should be slightly different

Presntly using 15.4.43.0

Thanks

jsalmon

Re: Wireless # automatically gets a US format

Post by jsalmon » Wed May 11, 2016 10:03 am

Sounds like the computer that entered the wireless phone number in the Patient Edit window has their language and region settings on the computer set to the United States. It needs to be set to anything but that and then the phone numbers should not automatically format.
http://www.opendental.com/manual/patientedit.html

The quickest way to tell if the workstation is set to a non-USA country region is to see if Tools | Language Translation is available. If that menu item option is not available, the computer is/was not in foreign mode when Open Dental was launched.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

drawab

Post by drawab » Thu May 12, 2016 12:56 am

WOW - little did we know the minor tweaks do matter a lot :) - it was indeed the Regional Settings which needed adjustment it can possibly sort a few other simultaneous issues as well.

I tested this on one computer and it gave a warning that the database is in "English (United States)" I guess after due backups and closing all Workstations - it would be safe to change to "English (India)" regional settings for the database to match it all across the board

thank you for clearing this up - we have for years being trying to grappled with Date being displayed mm-dd-yy - finally this tweak put at rest the long standing gripe as well

Thank you

OD rocks - I swear by it

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri May 13, 2016 3:53 pm

drawab,

I'm glad it was such a simple fix to your issues. It is safe to change the DB language and region setting, then it will warn you on each computer not yet switched to English (India) when you launch Open Dental. The setting in the DB has no real effect, it is just a preference of convenience for offices that want to be warned when any of their computers' language setting are different from the database language and region settings.
Ryan Meyer
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com