Dentrix server/backend

For users or potential users.
ki0ak

Dentrix server/backend

Post by ki0ak » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:55 am

Hi everyone,

I searched, but didn't find anything on this. I'm in the process of switching to Dentrix Plantinum sensors for digital x-ray and am wondering if anyone is running Dentrix with MySQL Server instead of the default Microsoft SQL Server (on Microsoft Windows) on the backend. I'd like to stay away from Windows if at all possible. (My Open Dental server is Linux-based, with MySQL Server and a Samba fileserver.)

I haven't dug into the configuration specs yet to see if it can be done - has anyone had success?

Thanks!

Brad
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
(319)396-7263

Ardavan

Re: Dentrix server/backend

Post by Ardavan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:54 pm

I don't have specific experience but can speak as a seasoned database admin: It MAY work but I'd advise against it. If you do choose that path I'd advise heavy testing, and don't update the version before heavy testing of the new versions in case new queries have been introduced.

MySQL can not be a drop in replacement for MSSQL the same way MariaDB can be used in place of MySQL. While MSSQL and MySQL both speak the same SQL language if you will, they do so with differing dialects. If the Dentrix system makes use of statements that are not compatible with MySQL, for example the FULL JOIN, then the program will behave unpredictably.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who will laugh at this joke, and those who won't. ~Annonymous Bug Writer

john_moses

Post by john_moses » Wed May 04, 2016 7:37 pm

I would have to call Dentrix to find out for sure to find out about MySQL support. But in the event they say they do not support MySQL, you may just wait a little bit. Microsoft announced they SQL Server on Linux is coming soon: http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/2016/03 ... -on-linux/
John Moses
https://www.sendthereminder.com
Automated patient communication system: reminders, overdues, confirmations, newsletters

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Thu May 12, 2016 12:17 am

I think you mean Dexis right? Dexis and Open Dental bridge nicely.