For users or potential users.
fishdrzig

Selling practice?

Post by fishdrzig » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:15 am

If a practice is sold, how does Open Dental handle the transition? Thanks

rhaber123

Re: Selling practice?

Post by rhaber123 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:36 am

I am not sure if this will work for you.
Create 2 data bases,
1- one for the OLD practice (SELLER) that has all the account receivables
2- and start a new database for the New BUYER, but this database will have all accounts receivables set at 0, (just zero all the balances)

I had to do that when I purchased a practice and I purchased the account receivables too.
We used 2 computers, a separate laptop had the old accounts/database, and a regular desktop/ for the new services/database

When you receive payments for services done by THE old OWNER , post the payment in the old database, on the laptop
Post NEW services only on the desktop, and when you receive payments for services done by the NEW buyer, post the payments in the new database, on the desktop

When you mail your statements, ad a small notice, inform your patients that you have just updated your software, and that they will receive 2 statements, one for services rendered by the old owner, and another statement for services rendered by the NEW owner, and they owe the combined balances.

Slowly, there will be no need for the old database, but sooner or later you have to make a decision about the bad debts,

========================================================================================

On the NEW DATABASE, OD tech support kept the previous patients treatment and info, but set all the balances to ZERO

Give them a call and they will assist you.
They are VERY helpful

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:55 pm

Thank you so much for the advice.

Arna

Post by Arna » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:33 am

We actually have a web page for this exact scenario: http://opendental.com/manual/changeownership.html

As far as your support account goes, the new owner can assume your support contract. Just give us a call and we will assist with the transition.

Congratulations on the sale of your practice.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks for the link

How about a merger of the charts where the buyer purchases my patients charts (information)? Is there a way to transfer all the notes and images, essentially the entire database to him even though Open Dental is not the software he is using?

rhaber123

Post by rhaber123 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:46 pm

All depends on what software he is using.

1- OpenDental is an Open Source software, so the data is available for another software company to do a conversion and integrate it in theirs.
the main question is how much they will charge, and what data will they be able to do
In my case, they were converting much less data and at a very higher price.

2- The other option is if your buyer convert to OD - that's WHAT I DID, AND THE TRANSITION WAS VERY SMOOTH.
OD Conversion team are AMAZING and they can do a conversion from any other dental software to OD, and mainly at a "REASONABLE PRICE"
http://opendentalsoft.com:1942/Conversi ... nList.aspx
http://www.opendental.com/manual/conversions.html
Other software companies conversion fees are much higher, and you need to check what items are being converted. ( up to $5000)
for example: adjustments, appointments, balances, benefits, carriers, employees, fee schedules, insurance plans, patient plans, patients, payments, providers, procedures, procedure notes, recall etc.....etc... and not just names and addresses

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:27 pm

Has anyone done a conversion from OD to Dentrix. New buyer was wondering how it went and what the cost was before he decides on Open Dental.

fishdrzig

Post by fishdrzig » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:09 am

Will this work

Doctor is buying just the patient charts. I still have a physical chart with most current xrays in it. I scan all the older xrays into OD as needed but keep the most current in the chart. All the chart notes are typed into the OD database.

One option is for him to convert his Dentrix to OD and he is considering that.
The other option is for him to buy my front desk computer that I use for my peer to peer and then he will have the database already loaded and he can take over the $99 month payments.
Just trying to figure out how to handle the physical charts with the xrays. Any ideas?
Will OD be able to load a copy of my database on my computer to keep for a reference?

Thanks for any help

rhaber123

Post by rhaber123 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:12 pm

My contract said that I bought the other business, good will, charts, phone number, website, etc...... and a dollar amount was assigned to each item (tax deduction is different for each item) . as the new buyer, I kept the hard copy of the chats , and later put them in storage when we went paperless, and few years later we shredded them. The previous owner dentist sent a letter to his patients informing them of the sale, and the patient ability to have access to their records , and the new dentist will be happy to assist. No release from the patients was required at that time. I am not sure about the NEW HIPPA rules

I think you must keep a copy of the database for yourself, on your home computer. (just in case a patient decided to complain) and you can give the database to the new dentist,
and he will be able to install it on his computer. OD support / conversion team are the BEST to help in this case.