server died, back up works,next step

For users or potential users.
babysilvertooth

server died, back up works,next step

Post by babysilvertooth » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:01 pm

My server died, and I had my data on an external hard drive. I had OD support help me get it up on a workstation, along with making the other computers point to it.
Should I just back up the OD data to this hard drive until my new server is ready? Then put the data on there? IS that the best way to handle it?

bpcomp

Re: server died, back up works,next step

Post by bpcomp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:21 am

Everybody is going to have their own opinion on what the "Best" way is and the short answer is whatever works best for you. I would recommend setting your server up as a virtual machine and making a copy of it every night. If your physical server goes down, you can boot the virtual server on any computer in your office and be back up and running with little hassle. Then copy the virtual server to the new physical hardware when it arrives.

For your backups, I recommend having multiple places that your data resides. In my system the data from every nightly copy ends up going to 3 separate physical places. 1 on the server hardware. 2 on the backup server. 3 on the encrypted external USB hard drive that gets swapped out every night and goes home with the doctor.