Please confirm: auto codes don't consider quads?

For users or potential users.
Jess

Please confirm: auto codes don't consider quads?

Post by Jess » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:59 pm

I just wanted to confirm that I'm not missing something obvious. When setting up auto codes, we can't consider quads, correct? My idea was to set up an auto code for a four-quad alveoloplasty that would be guaranteed not to generate insurance claim validation errors. It doesn't seem like that's possible?

dgraffeo

Re: Please confirm: auto codes don't consider quads?

Post by dgraffeo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:46 am

I don't believe they do. Auto codes are meant to detect what kind of procedure to create when in the chart module and pressing any of the procedure buttons, or in the procedure edit window and charting a procedure that has multiple forms. For instance if you are doing a composite for tooth 2 and use the procedure button in the chart module for composite it then determines which D code to use based on the tooth and what surfaces are selected. There are many different D-code versions of composite for differing number of surfaces so it attempts to select the correct one. The same goes in the procedure edit window. If you select a tooth and put in surfaces using the wrong D-code the auto code logic will suggest a different D-code based on your entry if it thinks it's incorrect (ie. you put one surface on the tooth but had opened the Procedure Edit window with a two-surface code). I'm not totally sure but I don't believe there's different D-codes representing different quadrants so there would be no reason to use auto codes as the same D-code will be used regardless of what quadrant is selected. Hopefully this helps explain!
"To understand what recursion is, you must first understand recursion."

David Graffeo
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Arna

Post by Arna » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:23 pm

Auto Codes require conditions to map to one unique code.
As I understand it, aveoplasty aren't quadrant specific. I am going to grab my CDT book to research, however I can confirm that Quadrant is not an auto code condition at the moment.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

Jess

Post by Jess » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I misunderstood the purpose of autocodes. They are only for the purpose of making sure that procedures' "targets" don't conflict with their ADA codes. For some reason I had thought it might be possible to use them to enforce other conditions.

Arna

Post by Arna » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:09 am

You could set up a procedure button with 4 x Aveoplasty code. If 4 identical quadrant codes are attached to a procedure button, Open Dental will cycle through the quadrants and chart all four- UL, LL, UR, LR.

Arna Meyer

irfan

Post by irfan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:24 pm

it cycles like that? I didnt know that. we have a quick code for SRP and we just click it 4 times and manually change the UL to the other Quads. hoq do you set it up to cycle? jsut add it 4 times into an autocode and nothing elsE?

Arna

Post by Arna » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:02 am

^^
Yup. It changed my life, so I share that gem with everyone I come across. Just add the D4341 four times to a procedure button and watch that magic work. :D

Arna Meyer