Required fields

For users or potential users.
spolevoy

Required fields

Post by spolevoy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:12 pm

Awesome idea in 15.4: make some fields required.

Except I am not sure anyone has looked up what "required" meant.
Right now, they are gently suggested, and ignored at will.

So how about we rename them...not "required", but ..."requested"? "recommended"? please please please fill out the referral from field?

tgriswold

Re: Required fields

Post by tgriswold » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:05 pm

While I didn't work on this specifically, I can add a little more background to this. Making fields 100% required is tricky. For example, lets say someone is entering data for a patient and they walk off. What if they didn't get the required information? The only thing the user can do at that point is click cancel and lose anything they just entered, and no one will ever be able to enter information for that patient unless they can get that from the patient. That is why we warn, and let you override the requirement. We don't want users throwing in dummy data just to be able to save the rest of what they have entered.

Additionally, if a user does not enter required information and chooses to click "OK" anyway it logs it in the audit trail for later review under the permission "RequiredFields". That way if you are curious which office staff is just clicking OK and not getting the information you set as required, you can follow up with them. The audit trail will show the date, time, user, computer, and patient that had the required information not entered.
Travis Griswold
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com