Version 15.4.10 Bugs

For users or potential users.
Rickliftig

Version 15.4.10 Bugs

Post by Rickliftig » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:15 am

First - glad to see all of the little improvements in this version! 100 feature requests down and only 4,344 more to go!
(using Windows 10 Pro version 1511)

1) My billing list (from the manage module) (when sent), no longer brings up Adobe PDF reader/printer
****** It's fixed - I have no idea why - made sure the file associations were all correct, but other than that have no idea.

2) I can't change the sheet type at all or anywhere unless I start a new sheet. I think this is normal behavior of the program then, eh?
3) No indicators are popping up when a consent form is generated (glad you incorporated this feature)

Many thanks - have the best of holidays and a joyous New Year!

Dr. Rick Liftig
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Re: Version 15.4.10 Bugs

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:09 am

On the latest betas, a reboot is required on workstations or the updater fails.

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:11 pm

Collapsed folders in Images module - It would be nice if collapsed folders had an indicator to show that documents were present (much like windows does in its directory trees).

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:18 pm

Rickliftig wrote:First - glad to see all of the little improvements in this version! 100 feature requests down and only 4,344 more to go!
And more just continue to pile up :cry:
Rickliftig wrote:2) I can't change the sheet type at all or anywhere unless I start a new sheet. I think this is normal behavior of the program then, eh?
This is in fact intended behavior. There is a lot of complex logic that happens behind the scenes of sheets and switching a sheet type after creation would wreak havoc. We also have a label that says "(cannot be changed later)" if you try to create a new custom sheet (not that typical).
http://www.opendental.com/manual/sheetproperties.html

Rickliftig wrote:3) No indicators are popping up when a consent form is generated (glad you incorporated this feature)
I don't think an indicator pops up. I'm not the one who implemented this so I could be wrong but I would assume this feature takes advantage of the Signed column in the progress notes grid and can now accurately indicate if a sheet has been signed with an X.
http://www.opendental.com/manual/showtabchart.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:19 pm

Rickliftig wrote:Collapsed folders in Images module - It would be nice if collapsed folders had an indicator to show that documents were present (much like windows does in its directory trees).
Isn't there a + or - symbol next to the folder with available content and no indicator for folders with nothing in them?
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Jay wrote:On the latest betas, a reboot is required on workstations or the updater fails.
A reboot of what, your computer? Are you getting any error messages that lead you to believe a reboot is required? Give me more details please.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Jason - re: the folders - somehow the behavior corrected itself. Very odd. But right before that, I had asked my front desk what happened to the scans. When she checked, they were there. Do you think it may have been an issue as to when the flag was being set by that computer's actions?

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:07 pm

jsalmon wrote:
Jay wrote:On the latest betas, a reboot is required on workstations or the updater fails.
A reboot of what, your computer? Are you getting any error messages that lead you to believe a reboot is required? Give me more details please.

Yes, the only way to update is to:

1. navigate to \OpenDentImages\setup.exe and launch installer

or

2. Reboot OS on Workstation and then follow the normal update procedure.

If you just launch OD and try to do a regular workstation update on a non-rebooted PC, you will get an error that the "files are busy" or something else to that effect.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Jay wrote:
jsalmon wrote:

Yes, the only way to update is to:

or

If you just launch OD and try to do a regular workstation update on a non-rebooted PC, you will get an error that the "files are busy" or something else to that effect.
You have something tying up the Open Dental files in the installation directory. Do you have an automatic backup software or something that is looking at those files by chance? Is the folder shared on your network and available for others to use?
The restarting of your computer works because you are killing whatever 3rd party entity (process) is tying up the files which makes it to where Open Dental cannot replace them with the newer version.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Rickliftig wrote:Jason - re: the folders - somehow the behavior corrected itself. Very odd. But right before that, I had asked my front desk what happened to the scans. When she checked, they were there. Do you think it may have been an issue as to when the flag was being set by that computer's actions?
I honestly don't believe it had to do with a flag being set by the computer's actions. Within the Images module of Open Dental you are actually looking at rows within a table in the database, not actual files. We just display it in a way that makes it feel and look like a folder structure. Once an item is present, it will always be present even if the physical file itself is deleted from your AtoZ share. So this is very baffling to me to hear them not show up one time and then come back. Maybe a different patient was selected by accident thus showing their Images module and it was just assumed that you were looking at a different patients Images module and were expecting to see certain scans?

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:40 pm

jsalmon wrote: You have something tying up the Open Dental files in the installation directory. Do you have an automatic backup software or something that is looking at those files by chance? Is the folder shared on your network and available for others to use?
The restarting of your computer works because you are killing whatever 3rd party entity (process) is tying up the files which makes it to where Open Dental cannot replace them with the newer version.
The only thing is that this issue never occurred prior to 15.4.xx

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Jay wrote:
jsalmon wrote: You have something tying up the Open Dental files in the installation directory. Do you have an automatic backup software or something that is looking at those files by chance? Is the folder shared on your network and available for others to use?
The only thing is that this issue never occurred prior to 15.4.xx
That's because versions prior weren't checking to see if the files were in use and we would have these ridiculously hard phone calls come it with crazy issues that ended up being an old dll was left behind and used with other newer dll and databases got corrupted and UEs happened "randomly", etc. So now we don't even let the possibility occur (unless someone manually does it of course).

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:21 pm

So why does navigating to Setup.exe and launching it manually work without a reboot?

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:03 pm

Jay wrote:So why does navigating to Setup.exe and launching it manually work without a reboot?
I'm not sure, that makes it sound like a permissions issue but then that contradicts with your reboot statement because a simple reboot wouldn't fix that kind of an issue unless you are launching Open Dental differently prior to rebooting (not running as admin) and then running as admin after the reboot and it just happens to be a coincidence?

If you are getting the message "There are files still in use. Please make sure all instances of Open Dental are closed then click Retry." that means that the upgrade tool could not open a file in the installation directory with read / write access and the most common cause is access being denied from a file currently in use. There's a whole slue of problems that could cause the file to not Open; lack of permission, unauthorized access, or any other generic IO problem (corrupt file), etc. If it was a generic IO problem then the Setup.exe would be able to run because it isn't trying to "open" the files, it blasts whatever is currently there (only needing to pass permission check) and then installs the new files.

I'm assuming this happens on all of your workstations since you made the statement "the only way to update" is one of two methods. I start to wonder what on all of your workstations is the same because I assure you, those two options you suggested are not the only ways to upgrade workstations as of v15.4. We here at HQ have been using the beta since day 1 of its release and haven't had this problem.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:13 pm

What I really meant:

the only way is

or

Why this is annoying is that it is not enough to run the update on the server, as a precaution one must run it on every workstation or some less technically savvy employee will get stuck next morning and spend 1 hour trying to figure it out. In the past the workstations updated painlessly when OD was launched.

Anyway it is a minor annoyance. I will keep a screenshot next time.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:16 am

I'm going to enhance the Update File Copier's error message to give more information to help figure out what exactly is wrong with the workstations. I added this to our bug tracker:
http://opendentalsoft.com:1942/ODBugTra ... sions.aspx

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:18 am

The bug "Upgrading workstations, enhanced the error message "There are files still in use. Please make sure all instances of Open Dental are closed then click Retry." to give more information." has been completed and will be released with v15.4.14

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:51 am

Excellent. I will post/send any messages I get in future.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Keep in mind that when you upgrade to or past v15.4.14 for the first time that you will NOT get an enhanced error message. The enhanced error will only show up AFTER you've successfully gotten all workstations to v15.4.14 or above.
This is because the current UpdateFileCopier (v15.4.X where x is less than 14) is used in order to grab the NEW version of UpdateFileCoper (greater or equal to v15.4.14) from the AtoZ share. It will be the NEXT time you upgrade from v15.4.14 (or higher) that will have the enhanced error message show.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:29 am

Same issue updating from 15.4.12 to 15.4.19. Is this the Enhanced Error message?

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:08 am

Update: It seems that the above screenshot was the first in a series of Error Windows (5 more files had IO errors). After dismissing them one by one by pressing Retry I was able to update normally. Please note that the workstation has no backup service running that would be accessing these files.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:31 am

Yes that is the enhanced message. You must have successfully updated your server then had this error on a workstation. I'll add some code to automatically kill that app (Central Manager and all its resources) which should help your future updates.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 am

Unless of course you are not using the CentralManager tool in which case you probably need to make sure that the user you are logged in as (more accurately, running Open Dental as) has read, write, and execute permissions to every file within the Open Dental installation directory. And if the permissions are all good to go then something else is somehow tying up that file. The only other suggestion I could think of to prove this fact would be uninstall Open Dental on all workstations and reinstall it (using the Setup.exe) to a different path (e.g. C:\SuperSecretPath\Open Dental\) so that whatever other entity is tying up those files can't find them.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:44 pm

The enhancement "Update File Copier enhancement, automatically close all applications related to Open Dental as to increase the odds of a successful update." has been committed and will be included with v15.4.21
http://opendentalsoft.com:1942/ODBugTra ... sions.aspx

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:53 am

Just upgraded from 15.4.19 to 15.4.23. Still getting the same IO error as before OD successfully installs after we press RETRY on the series of about 10 error windows, the first of which is the CentralManager.exe.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:01 am

Then it sounds like there's some other program or service tying up those files and then they are getting released once it is finished with them and that is why the retry button is working for you (after multiple attempts).
jsalmon wrote:The only other suggestion I could think of to prove this fact would be uninstall Open Dental on all workstations and reinstall it (using the Setup.exe) to a different path (e.g. C:\SuperSecretPath\Open Dental\) so that whatever other entity is tying up those files can't find them.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software