Charting caries

For users or potential users.
idcrockford

Charting caries

Post by idcrockford » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:39 pm

We are looking how to chart existing caries but do not want to add to treatment plan. Example patient has caries #2 MOD but we will be extracting tooth. Doctor wants us to mark the caries but we do not want to enter that it needs a filling since we are extracting it.

Jorgebon

Re: Charting caries

Post by Jorgebon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:33 pm

You have to enter a dummy procedure code for each diagnosis, then mark the entry status as "Condition". For example,tooth #17 is impacted so you select tooth #17, click on the condition entry status and select the dummy code for impaction. Once you have that, then mark the entry status as "Treat Plan", select the tooth and select the code for the extraction.
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

tensdr

Post by tensdr » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:14 pm

I'm new to OD and also can't figure out how to chart caries on initial examination. Do I just plan the restoration and accept that it is because of decay and not due to a boken or worn-out filling?

Arna

Post by Arna » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:59 pm

You have the option to add a Dx to a Treatment Planned procedure. If you are treatment planning due to a diagnosis, there's no real reason for double entry. If you want to add a diagnosis, but not treatment plan anything just yet, I like to use the watch codes to indicate that there is something going on with the tooth or the surface (there are two watches, one is tooth specific, the other is surface specific).

To draw my attention to it all, I change the color of my watch codes to black. Whenever I see a black surface on a tooth, I know it's carries without a plan.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

Pruce Dental

Post by Pruce Dental » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:06 am

"I'm new to OD and also can't figure out how to chart caries on initial examination. Do I just plan the restoration and accept that it is because of decay and not due to a boken or worn-out filling?"

It would drive me crazy to sit down for a restorative appointment and not know why I was replacing a defective restoration or knowing where to expect to find caries so i know I properly cleaned out the tooth. I am not interested in re-diagnosing each tooth at the restorative appointment.

Go into the procedure codes list and find the "N" procedure codes that are used for no fee things. Make a code called "caries", one for "open margins", one for "open contact", one for " overhang" and another for any other conditions why you might want to replace a restoration etc. Set them all to tooth surface and choose a different paint color for your conditions versus existing restorations/treatment planned stuff etc. Now set the first chart view in OD to show existing restorations and conditions and make a second chart view to only show treatment planned items. No you will be able to use the F1 and F2 keys to toggle between your charting and treatment plans. Now when you want to chart caries during your exam look on the chart where you have the options of treatment planned, existing other, existing current provided, referred and conditions and select conditions and then select your dummy "N" caries code when you want to chart caries.

Hope this explanations makes sense...
Robert L. Pruce, DMD
www.prucedental.com