ICD 10

For users or potential users.
MKM

ICD 10

Post by MKM » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:47 pm

We have a handful (literally about six) families that come here with Federal Employee Dental Insurance. As I understand it, I need to use the ADA 2012 claim form to submit claims, as every dental procedure needs a corresponding diagnosis code.
Am I correct in thinking that I need to update to the Beta version 15.3 to get these codes, and that when I download ICD 10 codes I will get thousands and thousands of codes, the vast majority of which I will never use. I do not submit Medical Claims or Medicare/Medicaid claims.
Is there any way to just manually enter the ICD10 codes that I might use and have them attach to the procedure code itself, or do I need to download them all?
Mary Kay
Practice Administrator
Medina, Ohio

jsalmon

Re: ICD 10

Post by jsalmon » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Yes you'll have to update. No you don't necessarily need to download the code system and can manually enter the ICD 10 code in the diagnosis code text boxes in the procedure edit window:
http://www.opendental.com/manual/proceduremedical.html

The downside to this is that you will not be able to use the picker window and you will always have to manually type the codes out each time. We do not let you add ICD 10 codes to the list of codes to choose from.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Arna

Re: ICD 10

Post by Arna » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:47 pm

You don't need to download ICD-10 codes in order to use them in the chart. You can, if you please, manually enter the codes into the ICD-10 Diagnosis box each time you submit a claim.
The toggle between the two coding systems is available in 15.3. You would need to update to 15.3 in order to differentiate which coding system you are using in the procedure edit window and on the claim.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer