Messaging Icon Synch

For users or potential users.
boboffice

Messaging Icon Synch

Post by boboffice » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:01 pm

We have been a very happy user of OpenDental but recently noticed a feature we very much like has been removed: the icon synch for messaging. We use this all the time since our OD windows on the display is completely covered by our x-ray software. With a quick glance at the taskbar, I can see that I'm needed in another operatory (or whatever). Oddly it still works on a couple of my workstations (all are Win 7 Pro) but not all. The instructions are still online (http://www.opendental.com/manual/messag ... setup.html) and the preference is still present in settings, but it doesn't work.

Is there any way this feature can be re-activated please?
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA

Arna

Re: Messaging Icon Synch

Post by Arna » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:19 pm

The workstations that are not working don't have the synch set for that computer (it is a computer setting).
Go to Setup>Messaging Buttons.
Find the computer with (This Computer) next to it in the list
Check the synch item number is set on that computer in the list.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

boboffice

Post by boboffice » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:04 pm

Hmmmm, not sure that will do it. On the list you mention, I have the computer set to "all". On each item on the right side of the screen I have "applies to all computers" selected. My goal is that when any messaging button is pressed in any room, all computers light up that button.
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:37 pm

Don't quote me on this but I think I remember someone having a complaint like this back in the day and it turned out that one computer in the office had it's Window's taskbar buttons set to "Always combine, hide labels" and needed to change that. You might play around with those kinds of things to see if that helps? It might just be Windows is picking a different icon from Open Dental to display instead of the one that shows the colors.
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

Arna

Post by Arna » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:53 pm

Do the messaging buttons light up on those workstations? I think Jason may have hit the nail on the head.
Note that you CAN change the synch icon settings per computer. When you add new computers to your environment, you will need to program the buttons for those new computers.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

boboffice

Post by boboffice » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Wow I'm going crazy trying to figure this one out! We have one workstation where the icon lights work fine; all others not. I have no idea why. The taskbars are set the same way on both. So are the OD settings. Ahhh!
Robert Marcus DMD
Univ. of CT '93
Poway, CA

Toni DeFazio

Post by Toni DeFazio » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:19 pm

I have been working on the messaging buttons for over a week. I have watched the webinars and youtube videos and still cannot get the buttons to appear on the left side panel below the 'Manage" module. I have only this one computer and I thought that perhaps this is why I cant get the buttons to appear but when assisting another office using OD they are networked with several computers and we cant get the messaging buttons to appear on their computer either. Looking for possible solutions.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:51 am

A week is way too long to spend on those buttons. You should give support a call and we can help you figure it out much quicker than that.
http://www.opendental.com/contact.html
The best thing about a boolean is even if you are wrong, you are only off by a bit.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software

Toni DeFazio

Post by Toni DeFazio » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Toni DeFazio wrote:I have been working on the messaging buttons for over a week. I have watched the webinars and youtube videos and still cannot get the buttons to appear on the left side panel below the 'Manage" module. I have only this one computer and I thought that perhaps this is why I cant get the buttons to appear but when assisting another office using OD they are networked with several computers and we cant get the messaging buttons to appear on their computer either. Looking for possible solutions.
Yes, I failed to mention that I did call support and they dialed in remotely, they found nothing wrong with my set up.

jsalmon

Post by jsalmon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:14 pm

You can give us a copy of your database and we can look into it with a fine tooth comb.

Jason Salmon
Open Dental Software